Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Herring board so mapping out what to plant.Want to plant more grape tomatoes this year Last year they were best I ever had Everyone loved them Problem I can’t remember the kind.They were grapes but instead of being round they were oblong shape like a football.In help would be helpful,Best tasting i ever had

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
If you remember where you bought the plants, I would start there. The problem with tomatoes is finding what you bought the year before, even at the same vendor. Green houses seem a bit more consistent as resellers don't necessarily buy from the same greenhouse every year.

I need to find some decent ghost peppers this year. We planted some 2 years ago and they were ridiculously good - great heat and excellent flavor, especially in salsa. Last spring I couldn't find any so I settled on some Thai Dragons that had the heat but not the flavor.

The Thai Dragons were good as a repellent though. We had a raccoon raiding our tomatoes and he nibbled on 1 of the peppers before I could get him in a trap. He never came back LOL.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you remember where you bought the plants, I would start there. The problem with tomatoes is finding what you bought the year before, even at the same vendor. Green houses seem a bit more consistent as resellers don't necessarily buy from the same greenhouse every year.

I need to find some decent ghost peppers this year. We planted some 2 years ago and they were ridiculously good - great heat and excellent flavor, especially in salsa. Last spring I couldn't find any so I settled on some Thai Dragons that had the heat but not the flavor.

The Thai Dragons were good as a repellent though. We had a raccoon raiding our tomatoes and he nibbled on 1 of the peppers before I could get him in a trap. He never came back LOL.
That’s the problem someone gave them to me to try I really did not know them much they lived down road we would visit each other gardens and bs.Now they moved
up north and Norway to contact them.Should have saved tag on plants

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Herring board so mapping out what to plant.Want to plant more grape tomatoes this year Last year they were best I ever had Everyone loved them Problem I can’t remember the kind.They were grapes but instead of being round they were oblong shape like a football.In help would be helpful,Best tasting i ever had
Sounds like Jelly bean cherry to me .I planted them last year and agree they are also my new favorite .Vines are covered with fruit well into the growing season .I got mine from a local greenhouse but others may carry them also .You can also buy seeds off the internet .

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like Jelly bean cherry to me .I planted them last year and agree they are also my new favorite .Vines are covered with fruit well into the growing season .I got mine from a local greenhouse but others may carry them also .You can also buy seeds off the internet .
Thanks

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one getting antsy. I ordered my onion sets a couple weeks ago and I've been digging through catalogs looking at sauce tomoatoes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For several years we have raised, from seed: Tomato Berry from Johnny's Seed Catalog. These have by far been the most prolific grape type and the most flavorful one. If we can only have one variety, Tomato Berry would be it, They are shaped somewhat like a strawberry. From 20 plants we will get 2-3 QUARTS per day when in peak bearing; they are grown in our hoop house. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to see I'm not the only one getting antsy. I ordered my onion sets a couple weeks ago and I've been digging through catalogs looking at sauce tomoatoes.
The people I give them to that can a lot love San Marranos.I allways plant about twenty.They are shaped like Roma’s only bigger.they love them And they are inter mediate plants get big and have a lot of tomatoes

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The people I give them to that can a lot love San Marranos.I allways plant about twenty.They are shaped like Roma’s only bigger.they love them And they are inter mediate plants get big and have a lot of tomatoes
This will be our first venture into a roma variety. San Marzano and Amish paste are the top candidates on my list. Ideally, I'd like to try a few of each.

·
Super Moderator
37,750 Posts
Yeah I usually pick em up in store. I looked a month ago at meijer and wally world and neither had ANY lids unless you bought jars.

If I have to buy from Amazon I will buy last I checked (in summer 2020) they were so expensive I may as well buy new jars!

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
www.chileplants.com

That website features 500+ kinds of peppers, 250+ kinds of tomatoes, and 60 varieties of eggplant. The shipping is a killer, but the plants I buy arrive in good shape. And I can get every kind of pepper I could ever want. My favorite super-hot peppers are 7-Pot Douglahs. Really hot (2x as hot as Ghost), and they have the most amazing pepper flavor I've found. They were sold out last year in April, so order soon if you are interested. You can order for delivery in May, when putting veggies outdoors is finally safe.

·
Premium Member
12,728 Posts
I should grow some ghost peppers. They really do have the best flavor. I don't get into super hot stuff much, but I have had a lot of ghost pepper stuff that is acceptable heat level and flavor that you just can't get enough of.

Also need to get my tomato variety figured out. We just did a lot of stewed and salsa ourselves last year, usually just do the general beef steaks and I got sun golds (i think) and those were awesome too.

We are doing some restructuring to our garden though, so going to have to get that figured out before I get too into planning. Hard to plan when you don't no how much space you will be working with yet.

I am excited to get our strawberries going again, started a patch last year and they did great, expanded well so this year we should get even more since we will be focused on harvest vs establishment.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Anyone find canning lids yet?!
I found some at Blaine's in TC, 3 dollars a dozen but limit 3 of reg mouth, was just going in for some gas cans but couldn't pass it up.

We still need wide mouth lids, might cave and pay the Amazon prices, got potatoes over the weekend I am going to start soon and hope for a good transition into spring. One year I planted potatoes mid april we had snow first week of May for a couple days, they still turned out great for harvest starting in June for dinner.

·
Super Moderator
37,750 Posts
I found some at Blaine's in TC, 3 dollars a dozen but limit 3 of reg mouth, was just going in for some gas cans but couldn't pass it up.

We still need wide mouth lids, might cave and pay the Amazon prices, got potatoes over the weekend I am going to start soon and hope for a good transition into spring. One year I planted potatoes mid april we had snow first week of May for a couple days, they still turned out great for harvest starting in June for dinner.
Cheapest I've seen them online was something like $1 EACH!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Kratky method of hydroponics is working out. Tried it out while bored this year and I think it has some promise for growing outdoors this summer.
Requires no soil and you don't need an actively flowing nutrient solution. Just get a deep enough container and the plants will grow their roots down to suck up the decreasing amount of solution while adding "oxygen roots" to get the O2.

Basil (which is looking really sad and came pre-planted from Meijer), lettuce, thyme, and rosemary.

Lettuce plants germinating:

Got some spinach in the works too:

The fun stuff is on order:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
In 2013 I tried potatoes early and they made it, had my first harvests in late June that year.

Gonna give it a go today with some of the kenebec potatoes I bought, see onion tops greening up in the garden as well today.

1 - 20 of 282 Posts