Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
How is the access to the piers? Are they walkout with backpack only or can you bring a wheeled cart? Any sand to go through? Thank you!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Elberta would require taking a cart through the sand. Maybe 150 feet or so. Lot of people accessing the beach on both sides today. Zero parking available on the north on Saturday. Little town was just hopping today.

Didn’t see any anglers on the pier. Probably a two man job to get a cart to the ends anymore, particularly in the dark. Unless you would go all old school with a net, a rod, spoons, replacement swivels and a light source and headed out….

It would be sweet if someone local could measure the distance between the mooring pipes past the elbow to the edge of the pier. I should have thought of that today.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It’s not that far Steve. I’m less than 100% confident that it’s more than 24 inches. “Back in my day”, we carried a bucket with rod holders on it, our cast net in it with some tackle. The short straw got to carry the landing net….we didn’t take your fancy folding chairs, bait coolers, xtra rods or sabiki rigs… and we liked it. The worst was carrying or dragging fish back. I suspect the same effort now might trip my defibrillator….

·
Banned
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frankfort north pier is a bit broken up.. small pier cart will make it,but it's going to take a little work and n some spots some thinking.. the concrete walk way to the pier wasn't bad with sand,but a small wheels cart might need a little extra pull power..the guys going out with a back pack system are going have an easier time,unless they land and keep fish.. if the beach is busy,I'd say the water is a little to warm for silver fish.. it's when the beach is dead,that tends to be better fishing..

·
Banned
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s not that far Steve. I’m less than 100% confident that it’s more than 24 inches. “Back in my day”, we carried a bucket with rod holders on it, our cast net in it with some tackle. The short straw got to carry the landing net….we didn’t take your fancy folding chairs, bait coolers, xtra rods or sabiki rigs… and we liked it. The worst was carrying or dragging fish back. I suspect the same effort now might trip my defibrillator….
It's not the walk out,or walk back.. it's the dragging of fish that has us looking at carts..

·
Banned
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Best cart idea I've seen for the north pier was a 100qt cooler on wheels and a handle.. had rod holders on the outside and kept his main gear inside.. he said if it rains or waves start soaking everything,his gear is dry.. second is a golf caddy,small light and moves easy around those dang poles..(but no where to put fish)..

156 Posts
South pier is in pretty bad shape. Couple of massive craters where you have to lift your cart front set of wheels over the hole, then back wheels to get over. There is one particular hole that’s maybe 3ft long that that your cart can flip over if you aren’t carful. Definitely need to take your time, especially if you bringing fish off the pier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Guy's,
I hang around the end of Elberta pier quit a bit---ask my wife :)
& yes there are some realy bad spots in the concrete,one place is missing a big chunk over 5 ft wide----I know how wide cause I bring 2 board's ,1" x 3" one is 5 ft 7 in. long the other is 5 ft.3 in long just to make a bridge for my fish-n-mate sr. with the orange flotation wheel's & it is 35" wide & just passes the pipe's.
Yea I take lot's of stuff maybe to much but this time of the year I never know what I might be using so I bring everything + SNACK'S
Jeff

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
North pier in Manistee has best access and easiest walk, just gotta deal with sand blown over the walk way. Havent been on South pier in awhile due to water levels, hopefully they are down more than a foot. Lost quite a few people off the Frankfort pier in the last few years, lower water levels would help. They really need to put up a decent sized signs on the piers with the number of people that have drown on them, some people are clueless as to the danger.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well, once you get old & unhealthy enough to have to reduce your salt; you’ll appreciate the no salt 1.99 size Utzs potato chips, cherries (nothing like spitting pits in the lake on a nice morning), or some good grapes.

Man I miss subs and Lay’s stack canister snacks (Stax).

·
Banned
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That of of us from the east side know. rickers sticks.. have to bring 2lbs,just so 1/2lb might make it to the fishing spot..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts