Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 2020 season coming to a close I was wondering who shot something not normally in Michigan. I am not talking hybrid or leucistic, even though that are cool and rare. The normal ones I saw pictures of were a few snows, blues and a speck. Scoters are rare but becoming more common. I did see a photo of the beautiful harlequin from LSC and a buddy of my shot a juvenile this year. In my lifetime of hunting Michigan (20 years) I have seen all of those through binoculars. Is there anything else you guys have seen this year? Brant or Eider?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
As a group we shot both a Ross's and a Speckle belly this year while Canada goose hunting. Has not happened before.

We managed to take about 300 geese this year so I wonder how rare a speck really is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As a group we shot both a Ross's and a Speckle belly this year while Canada goose hunting. Has not happened before.

We managed to take about 300 geese this year so I wonder how rare a speck really is.
Specks are much less rare on the west side of the state than the east side. I've been hunting the berrien area for 6 years now and have shot one myself and a number of my buddies have shot some as well. One year we had a group of 50+ here for all of the late season along with a few snows. I grew up in SE MI and have only heard of 1 speck shot over there.

·
Registered
879 Posts
This Barrows Golden Eye was shot on the St Mary’s last year
9DDEF912-02AF-46F0-83EB-F5B2FDC5565E.jpeg

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Nice Eider! That thing looks huge. I know a guy who shot one out on Lake Erie from a layout, he showed me the pics, really nice drake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts