Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
When I lifted him out he broke line and landed on head and gave the quiver. So he may be the only one to go home with me this year other than tourneys lol
I always try to slide the crappie out or use my spoon to scoop them out. They dont call them papermouths for nothing. Nice mess of fish!

·
Registered
992 Posts
I tried to fish stone lake in cass co today. Ended up falling through about 70-100 yards from shore. Managed to finally get on the ice after about 45 seconds in the water.
No idea of depth.
I was on that lake sunday with no issue. Not sure if I hit a spring or if the snow was the cause or both.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I tried to fish stone lake in cass co today. Ended up falling through about 70-100 yards from shore. Managed to finally get on the ice after about 45 seconds in the water.
No idea of depth.
I was on that lake sunday with no issue. Not sure if I hit a spring or if the snow was the cause or both.

Yikes...thank God you were able to get out!! You never know!!!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
No idea of depth.

Holy crap that's scary. Glad you got out.

How thick was the ice sunday? I was definitely worried that this snow will screw up SW MI lakes and this report isn't helping

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow! I was thinking of inching out on a couple my Berrien county lakes this week too. With all the snow (8-9 inches) I was concerned and your experience sure makes me pause. Was anybody else on the ice to help you out?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Holy crap that's scary. Glad you got out.

How thick was the ice sunday? I was definitely worried that this snow will screw up SW MI lakes and this report isn't helping
Ice was a 4-5 in the area I was in and there was about 1/2 inch of snow when I left at 1230 on sunday.

I think I hit a spring or an old hole that with the snow on the lake, now about 4 inches it pushed water up and softened the ice.

It was a challenge but i was able to keep my arms above the ice and kept going until i hit something that would hold me. In retrospect i should have turned around to where i came from as that ice was more solid.

My better half isn't too happy, but I did go with her to her radiation treatment and bought drive thru lunch.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Wow! I was thinking of inching out on a couple my Berrien county lakes this week too. With all the snow (8-9 inches) I was concerned and your experience sure makes me pause. Was anybody else on the ice to help you out?
No I was first person there. I have fished in past years by myself but i will need to rethink that going forward.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Ice was a 4-5 in the area I was in and there was about 1/2 inch of snow when I left at 1230 on sunday.

I think I hit a spring or an old hole that with the snow on the lake, now about 4 inches it pushed water up and softened the ice.

It was a challenge but i was able to keep my arms above the ice and kept going until i hit something that would hold me. In retrospect i should have turned around to where i came from as that ice was more solid.

My better half isn't too happy, but I did go with her to her radiation treatment and bought drive thru lunch.

Thoughts and prayer to your better half...not for being with you, but for the treatments she is going through ;)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I used to fish all the time by myself and actually enjoyed it..now that im older and wiser i enjoy a group of guys...plus more tipups in a spread makes for more excitement usually

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Michmatt glad to hear you at least got out safe. It's definetly ice spud weather in at least the S.W. Portion of our state. The damn snow always seems to be our enemy down here especially when you get a decent snow on only 3 or 4"s of ice. Sketchy at best!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

41 - 60 of 267 Posts