Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few years I have hunted Wetzel and have come back skunked, not even seeing a flight. The irony is my sister lives right down the road and there are always waterfowl flying over her house, many times I could just throw a tennis ball at em. I plan on giving Wetzel another shot tomorrow afternoon as soon as I get out of work.

I haven't heard of many waterfowl success stories coming out of Wetzel. Has anyone had a good 2019 out of there? Or any success in general?

·
Registered
568 Posts
The past few years I have hunted Wetzel and have come back skunked, not even seeing a flight. The irony is my sister lives right down the road and there are always waterfowl flying over her house, many times I could just throw a tennis ball at em. I plan on giving Wetzel another shot tomorrow afternoon as soon as I get out of work.

I haven't heard of many waterfowl success stories coming out of Wetzel. Has anyone had a good 2019 out of there? Or any success in general?
Between it being hunted everyday and lack of flights birds at times it can be a tough go. Years ago used to hunt it a lot had some great shoots. We shot 35 geese one morning there. It can be feast or famine for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see it getting over hunted easily. I used to hunt areas like Bald Mt, Pontiac Lk and Ortonville and always came back with one or two birds. Since moving to Sterling Heights I'm still trying to find that honey hole that I can walk into and hunt that just doesn't get destroyed and not have to drive over an hour to hunt. I was spoiled living in northern Oakland Co.
Between it being hunted everyday and lack of flights birds at times it can be a tough go. Years ago used to hunt it a lot had some great shoots. We shot 35 geese one morning there. It can be feast or famine for sure.

·
Registered
467 Posts
It varies. There's been years I've seen a fair number of ducks and a ton of geese. Other years, I wouldn't see a thing. The low numbers are true for this year. I sat out til dark about the second week of the opener this year to see if I could hear any birds coming to roost or moving around the marshes and I didn't hear a thing.

The best bet you might have is early season for woodies. Although I've seen ducks as late as early November and geese well into the late season. If you can go during the week for a morning hunt, then you've got a chance. If it's during the afternoon or a weekend, forget it. Too many skybusters.

Not to mention all the rain we've gotten have raised those pond levels up a bit and some of those are a bit deep.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've taken a few geese out of there but get skunked more often than not. My biggest beef, is hauling my decoys out getting all set up. Than have some one show up at dawn, who proceeds to just hunker down in the weeds and take shots at the geese as they are gliding into someone's spead. I see this happen all the time. They don't even bother with waders since they just stay on land trying to ambush the geese on there way to the ponds and someone's decoy spread. One day I was very angry, and brought up a couple of the yahoos the the co who was checking me. He said, that he understood, but there was nothing he could do, that these guys were unethical but not illegal.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
without scouting every morning at sunrise its typically a big fat zero. I've become picky and only hunt scouted spots with good reports now, unless the weather is too perfect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
without scouting every morning at sunrise its typically a big fat zero. I've become picky and only hunt scouted spots with good reports now, unless the weather is too perfect.
Right, I've used this place as a buffer until I can find some walk-in spots which are a lot more sparce than in Oakland Co. Seems like everyone hunts Anchor Bay, which I don't really trust my 18' Alum Canoe with the ol' 30/30 on it out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.