Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

2017 bTB results for 472 DMU

926 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Luv2hunteup
Rectangle Font Parallel Handwriting Slope
this table was provided by Luv2. Thanks for posting.
I took the liberty of expanding on the numbers.
Numbers might change slightly when special January hunt numbers are completed but only for Alpena county.
My conclusions:
bTB is down this year.
Hunters stepped up and provided heads for testing to the point of exceeding set goals.
Maybe hunter choice was working after all.
bTB is contained to the 4 county core area pretty much.
bTB in buffer area is low enough that with out harvesting/testing a lot more deer you'd be hard pressed to find even one.
Maybe a couple hot spots in Alpena and Montmorency counties remaining but should but some what pin pointed if the dots on the map tend to cluster.
Conclusion:
bTB at < 1% might be as low as it possible to ever get it.
Seems at <1/2% for the 472 DMU containment is viable and has worked.
A big thank you to my fellow hunters who stepped up harvested deer and turned the heads in for testing.
We all need to continue this effort such that hot spots are quickly identified and can be deat with in a timely manner.
Keep in mind the greater the number of heads turned in and tested the smaller the percentages will be. Just the opposite of what the folks wanting to show that bTB has gone away by not turning in heads were doing.
Reactions: jr28schalm
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
The lab was closed MLK Day. The lab was open the following Monday but was closed for conferences the remainder of the week. Losing a week after the end of the Special Hunt hasn’t allowed for an update on test results. We have 4 heads in for testing with no results yet.
The TLC necropsy took place this last Saturday and 46 deer crossed the table. @ deer were bagged as "suspect", but admittedly "weak suspects" by MDNR. Results are pending.
Thanks for the information.
How many bagged suspects?
What was conclusion on overall health?
Anything you can share is appreciated since these are eveyones deer.
The TLC necropsy took place this last Saturday and 46 deer crossed the table. @ deer were bagged as "suspect", but admittedly "weak suspects" by MDNR. Results are pending.
To the best of my knowledge none of the deer that hit the table had signs of btb in their chest cavity. The MDNR vet bagged 2 and took lymph nodes from a 3rd. As I said...none were "strong suspects". A couple of the deer had chronic pneumonia.
The target number for TLC was 50 deer, they killed 43, I believe, and another 3 came from a neighboring property.
I can't comment on "overall health" as the data is still being analyzed. The mean date for conception was a bit later than last year and last year was a bit later than the year before. Again, that is also being analyzed. One doe that hit the table (a yearling) was bred within days of being taken.
Thanks for the information.
How many bagged suspects?
What was conclusion on overall health?
Anything you can share is appreciated since these are eveyones deer.
Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully an update will be posted after everything has been reviewed.
Interesting that a yearling was breed in February. She must have been healthy and in good condition.
(A pm up date would also work if numbers are not for everyone. )
Hear Fishie Fishie
I read on Wood TV 8 that TB was found in an Ottawa County cattle herd.
Yes two cattle roping herd what ever that is came from a herd that tested positive for bTB in Indiana.
1 farm and counting all ready for 2018.
Department of ag needs to look at more than just dairy cattle apparently.
Hear Fishie Fishie
I read on Wood TV 8 that TB was found in an Ottawa County cattle herd.
Only 54 additional tests between the Jan. and Feb. reports and 22 more positives ?? Damn.
The percentage of positives jumps from .43% to .83%.

L & O
Reactions: hear fishie fishie
Yeah but still <1% !
Way better than the 2% a couple years ago.
Only 54 additional tests between the Jan. and Feb. reports and 22 more positives ?? Damn.
The percentage of positives jumps from .43% to .83%.

L & O
Right, but 22 out of 54 ? Must be a reason. Were most of 22 already known to be positive, but being re-tested to confirm so those number were not included in the Jan. report. Something is just not right here.

L & O
Yeah but still <1% !
Way better than the 2% a couple years ago.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.