Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's spring and I'm having post hunting season depression as I'm sure a lot of you are having. I didn't get to go out a lot this season because school always prevented me. Seeing some of the posts on here have had me itching to go hunting. Lately I have been doing some research on Illinois public land. I've never done a public land hunt before, and I would love to go to Illinois and give it a shot. Of course I would be asking around for some private parcels, too. I'm just looking for some advice on what regions/areas don't see as much hunters as other regions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Check out Jim Edgar panther Creek public hunting area. Although you missed the deadline for the nonresident draw you may be able to do it next year. Do lots and lots of scouting and go as far off the parking spots as you can. Don't go if the corn is still up.plan on November

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out Jim Edgar panther Creek public hunting area. Although you missed the deadline for the nonresident draw you may be able to do it next year. Do lots and lots of scouting and go as far off the parking spots as you can. Don't go if the corn is still up.plan on November
Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it and I'm really bummed I missed the deadline. That's a HUGE plot of land. How's the pressure out there? And why wait till he corn comes down? Usually in MI its corn= great hunting. At least for me.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's been 7 or 8 years since I hunted there, what we found was that guys leave their treestand up all year so any good spot we wanted to Hunt already had stands there. We hunted during the week and diddnt see many other guys because you have to park in designated parking lots, there maybe other trucks there but its a huge area so people would spread out.
The corn fields there are huge and along with the upland bird hunting fields there is tons of cover for deer to bed in. We found the deer bed in the corn, so waiting till the corn is down forces the deer to bed in the hunting area. Also after upland quail season starts those hunters drive the deer out of those fields as well.
I hunted out of my climber and found going in off the road 1.5 to 2 miles was best. But the food plots and corn fields are big so you have to walk a way to get back in.some guys took mountain bikes to get back in.
The price of a nonresident tag is alot for a 1 week Hunt so I haven't been back. It was a great great experience, hunting hills and hollers tho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.