Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow can you believe its only a month and a half away? lol my .22 is still in he corner of the dining room from last year. and i'm down to my last squirrel in the freezer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't know about the squirrel population this year but it seems like I have seen a lot of rabbits during early morning bike rides. Hopefully they will be just as plentiful when hunting.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have noticed a lot more blacks around north oakland county so far this year, and no shortage of fox squirrel. till me and my dog get to em anyway.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Hunting squirrels is a lot of fun. I look forward to it every year. Unfortunately in our county the DNR is cutting every hardwood that they can find. That makes it much harder to find squirrel habitat in our area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't wait, squirrel population is robust as usual, but I have to trap my next squirrel hawk first. Whoo hoo let the harvest begin.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I'm excited to hunt some bushy tails. Anyone up for some Oakland County tromps - pm me..

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have to spend the next couple weekends making up some squirrel cookers. goin to spend the 15th throughthe 19th in algonac hunting , and leading a blackighting/ insect collection expedition for the dnr. usually if people see me cooking a squirrel on a squirrel cooker over my campfire,,,i can sell a few of them. often more then pays for my campground fee's . nothing like slow cooked pot of beans and a fire roasted squak, and a few biscuits to make you feel like paul bunion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I havent hunted in almost 20 years. Heading back out and re-starting with some small game soon. Im planning on hunting state game lands in west Michigan near the Grand Rapids area. Has anyone had issues small game hunting in state land during bow season?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I havent hunted in almost 20 years. Heading back out and re-starting with some small game soon. Im planning on hunting state game lands in west Michigan near the Grand Rapids area. Has anyone had issues small game hunting in state land during bow season?
nope. be respectfull and if you see a hunter give him a wide birth. you stand as good a chance of moving a deer to him as away from him. most bow hunters are cool with it because deer are watching you and moving. once in awhile you will find an ****** that thinks he owns the woods. just move on,,,you can't teach him anything anyway. I worry more about my small squirrel dog getting shot then anything else. a lot of folks don't know that small dogs are good hunters too.
watch for orange collars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts