1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
Interesting that Presque Isle County received the largest number, by far, of chinook plants. Could be an interesting fishery in a few years!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Seems like a lot of kings being planted from all the posts I've been reading the DNR wasn't planting kings this disputes those claims. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for info. First report ive ever seen of planted fish. Are these numbers consistent with years passed??
Good question. This is the first time I have seen a list like this. I suppose it's possible there still maybe some more stocking this year.

From the "for what it's worth" file.......I was stationed at the CG air station at Selfridge ANGB. They have/had some holding ponds along Anchor Bay where someone (DNR?) was stocking walleye fry by the many thousands. I ran into a guy there once and he was telling me when the fry get to something like 1/2" - 1" they collect them for restocking. Pretty cool set up. I just did a check and the tanks are still there. One looks empty and another is getting filled up in this Sat image. They are the rectangle/square ponds at the end of Range Rd along the shoreline in the below pic. Someone may know if the ponds are still used for walleye rearing.

Selfridge.JPG

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Talked to a hatchery guy on the Wisconsin side last Saturday morning and he told me that they were upping their steelhead plants from 275,000 to 500,000 and cohos from 300,000 to 400,000. I thought we had a baitfish problem?? LOL

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Steel and hoes eat aquatic insects and a primary forage, I mean the don't pass up ales but can live off other forage, where as kings mainly eat baitfish, ie ales.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MI stocking info has been available for years. You can look back many years on the king stocking. Youll see in 2013 they cut king stocking in half.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
The numbers on kings are far below half for most ports south of manistee, not sure how you would think are planting very many anywhere. Widen your search back 10 years if you want to see large numbers.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The average reduction of Chinook for Michigan ports was about 69% in 2013. This was part of a lakeside 50% reduction. We took more due to the natural reproduction of our rivers.

Hopefully, alewife will respond this year. If they do, the natural fish will also.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts