Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My brother-in-laws and I hunted with Hank Pole and his gang in the Amasa unit last week, and we had a great time. I shot this black bear with bow and arrow last Thursday evening, ~5:30, hunting in the Amasa unit. Not a big bear, but of course I thought it was when I shot! I was guessing size by a small bear that came in Tues (opening) night, shown in the video clip. It looked small so I didn’t shoot. The attached video clip shows it coming back to the bait after having been in there nervously eating from the bait.

"http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/opening_day_small_bear-2.MOV"

I saw no more bears Tuesday night or all day Wednesday. When this bear came in Thurs night, I quickly prayed for calm and a slower heart rate which thankfully happened after the initial rush. I had to hold for a bit until the front leg cleared. The shot was good. It ran ~80-90 yards, tracked with Steve and Bob from Pt. Huron, for those of you who’ve hunted with Hank in the past. (I won’t list last names without their permission. And I didn’t get their “michigan-sportsman” names.) But what a couple of cool guys - very positive, giving encouragement for my long, all-day sits, taking good pictures, and showing some great tracking skills through the thick stuff. After the shot, I only saw the bear run 30 yards over a short ridge. From there the blood was light with no obvious direction it may have ran. Bob says, “there’s two broken branches in there, I think it went this way” and sure enough, good blood was found right after that as the blood probably began to saturate the fur. The bear was dead about 25 yards beyond that.

Thank you to Hank, Cathy, Hank Jr. and family - you all were great hosts, and really made it a great week. Man, did we laugh a lot! Thanks to Doc and Steve Brandle for the hide care and quartering, the pleasure was all mine in getting to know you guys. Thanks again to Steve and Bob. And thanks to all you other hunters who were just fun to be around and hear your stories.

I thank God for the memories made with my nephew and brothers-in-law, just enjoying His creation.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time. Hunting is a great time to make memories with family and friends. Getting the bear is the bonus.
Congratulations!

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time and made good friends as well. plus got a nice Bear and a life time of memories . Good job. That's what it is all about.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
Great story! Congrats!!!

I made memories on my hunt with Hank that will last a lifetime. It appears you've done the same!

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Congrats again on the bow kill; gotta love it when a plan comes together. One of the most important things to know about bear hunting is sometimes persistence and a stubbornness to stick with it is what gets it done. Pleasure to meet you and your crew, hope to see you in camp again one day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts