Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I count down the days leading to my August 23rd hunt in Timmins, I was curious if anyone that has hunted bears in Ontario could supply me with any reminders for equipment, and/or things to expect navigating into Canada.

I am also really wondering what I can bring as far as food/drink goes and/or how much per person. I don't know how critical they will be at the border when trying to bring in beer, snacks like chips, nuts, granola bars, etc.

Any and all advice/wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Grew up in N. Ont south of Timmins, cross frequently to go visit. There is a limit to how much alcohol you can bring over, I just dont bring american beer into canada so cant help you there. Money reporting, pretty sure its a high amout like over $10G cash. Regarding food, no meats, any unopened food items I have never had a problem crossing with them going both ways. If bringing guns, fill out gun decleration ahead of time but sign only in front of them. I suspect your travelling through toronto, if so do not even consider driving through there b/w the times of 330pm to 730pm unless you like loooonnnggg backups. Dont know when you are returning but sunday late afternoons through 11pm can be a nightmare as cottage goers are coming back to the big city on 400S. If you can avoid sunday travel you will enjoy your trip back.

Taking the 407ETR across north toronto ($12 one way and yes you will get a bill even with US plates) is nice but not necessary if you are driving around the times mentioned. Nice drive to North Bay now as it is 4 lanes the entire trip once you cross the birdge (401E to 400N). Much easier and faster to cross ambassador bridge, I refuse to cross the bluewater bridge as it can take hours with all the semi traffic.

Once north of north bay its 2 lanes (4hrs) to Timmins. Some gas stations farther north do not take US credit cards so it doesnt hurt to get some canadian currency at the border, exchange is close to par. Bugs should be very minimal that time of year, bring thermacell just in case. OPP will nail you for speeding if going over 120kph, i usually keep to 115-117kph (70mph) on the 401 or 400N. There are a few places N of Barry, around Orillia and Gravenhurst/Muskoka area that it slows to 90kph, heed the warning as they WILL nail you if over 100kph. Interpol and paying on the spot (from experience) do not add to the memorible experience. Other than that enjoy your trip.

Many do not know this but a DUI in the US is considered a felony in Canada and they will not let you cross the border. Just a heads up and hope this doesnt apply to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts