Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never been a big contributor here, however I'd like to share photos of my 2011 season now that I'm gearing up for 2012.

Quick story on the big guy... I was sitting atop a very large hill on one of the windiest days of our short gun season. I had just sent my dad a text message saying that I was an idiot for sitting on top of the biggest hill I could find, on the windiest and coldest day. As I was looking up from putting my phone back in my chair's cup holder I saw a big body with big white stuff above his ears. I grabbed my rifle and made my shot in less than 15 seconds without even scoping his head. I knew that he was a shooter as soon as I knew his antlers were taller than his ears. I had no idea how big he was or if I had even hit him because of the adrenaline and tunnel vision.

After my shot I made the gun safe and calmed myself down. Within two minutes I was up trying to locate a blood trail of some kind. I wasn't able to find anything, but I started down the hill in the general direction which he ran. 50 yards along I was pleasantly surprised by the sight of his big body laying on the ground. As I approached... I couldn't believe what I had done. I'll let my pictures do the talking for me.

I've killed deer every year, but this is only my second buck. The very next day I shot my third buck ever. :)

Any guesses on score? I'll share what we measured if a few people guess.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Another interesting part with the big boy. He had been injured at some point. I can't explain it there as no evidence other than the old wound. His hip had a soft ball sized hole in it. I was looking forward to getting him skinned out because I found this old wound as he was hanging for a day or two in the cold. Any ideas? I assumed an arrow.

And the little guy from the next day. I euro mounted him because his sticker was super cool! That was a nice surprise as I walked up on him.

Thanks for viewing!

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Very cool buck. Congrats.

I've never seen anyone drag a deer backwords like that - does pulling it against the way the hair lays make it harder to pull, or is it no big deal.

Again, congrats. That's a beauty.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I sure love these type of threads, I have itch for October so bad. Summer could end today and I would be fine with it. I'm going to guess he scored 134" and was 4.5 yr old.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I normally drag with the head. I knew he was going to get caped so I didn't want to risk damaging the pelt with the rope...

It was quite easy though, maybe had something to do with the drag being mostly down hill... He dressed out at 155lbs.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sure love these type of threads, I have itch for October so bad. Summer could end today and I would be fine with it. I'm going to guess he scored 134" and was 4.5 yr old.

I saw you commenting on another thread. I saw you hunt Roscommon... I killed both these deer in Roscommon county. :)

·
Premium Member
30,897 Posts
Very cool buck. Congrats.

I've never seen anyone drag a deer backwords like that - does pulling it against the way the hair lays make it harder to pull, or is it no big deal.

Again, congrats. That's a beauty.
If he would have drug him from the front he would have been getting further away from his vehicle.

BB, he's a great buck Congrats!
The "little guy" actually has a third beam (seperate pedicle) not what is considered a "sticker". Very cool.:cool:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I
BB, he's a great buck Congrats!
The "little guy" actually has a third beam (seperate pedicle) not what is considered a "sticker". Very cool.:cool:
Thank you!

Third beam? Even better! ;)

I've never heard of such. I just assumed what he had was considered a sticker. Awesome!

·
Premium Member
30,897 Posts
Thank you!

Third beam? Even better! ;)

I've never heard of such. I just assumed what he had was considered a sticker. Awesome!
Can you post a close up pic of that spot on the euro mount to be sure?

·
Premium Member
30,897 Posts

This same angle of the euro.:)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
BB thats a great buck. Not real long browtines, good mass........... I am gonna guess just shy of the Pope and Young's mininum. ;) Where's Scotty at?

Congrats on the second buck of the season too, buck number 3 for ya.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Super impressed that it came from Roscommon. I have been working on my cabin up there all summer to finally have a "deer camp" again... Have been doing a little scouting as well.

Being that is was Ros. I would guess 4.5yo for sure.

State land?

·
Registered
255 Posts
congrats on a great year BB. If I remeber correctly we actually met last fall I'm pretty sure you were the one that took my information at the MET picnic at Ferris I won the rear view mirror from gentex.

·
Administrator
17,585 Posts
Nice mount! Nice deer! GREAT season!
Congrats!
<----<<<

1 - 20 of 33 Posts