Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

2009 COTM Lake Choices , should the guys be able to "toss names in the hat"??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I know this is entirely up to Justin & Mike - but I figured I'd toss this out ther for an idea!

What do all the guys think of making ONE thread asking for suggestions on between 5 - 10 lakes to use as fodder for the season schedule ???

Then we place a poll on a SECOND thread for guys to vote which lakes they'd like to see on the list for next year??

Maybe I'll poll this question here!!!

You can choose MORE than ONE option!

(Of course Justin can 'veto' anything here...LOL!)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
we kind of tried this before.. problem is less than half of the guys who fish are on these boards to vote.

·
Super Moderator
16,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we kind of tried this before.. problem is less than half of the guys who fish are on these boards to vote.
And some of the guys are regulars , and some guys change every week/month.
BUT it's fresh input , better than NONE - and I see you didn't vote.

:lol:

:cheeky-sm

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
As long as we keep the lakes no further than Tamarack I'm cool with whatever. I would LOVE to see one date at Bruce's Bayou on the grand:chillin: (great parking, alot of river to fish, you could run all the way to Grand Haven if you wanted to)

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
The ramp we used on the Grand for the Kellogsville tourney (it's at the entrance to Stearns actually) was awsome and it's actually closer to GR than Tamarack. Might make it a long ways to travel for the likes of Carl... but hey... Ed and I drove well over an hour to get to Tamarack... so fair is fair I guess.

You will see more lakes than just the 5 we fished next season. This was our first season and overall I think it went very well. But, input is welcome!! I for one would like to see Duncan and Wabasis added (believe it or not Wabs fishes really well early in the season) so it's a safe bet we'll be hitting those two for sure. REEDS!!!! Count on that one too!! LOL!!! Bear in mind due mostly to distance and ramp size we will be forced to fish some of the lakes more than once (like Tamarack!). We could even add Brandon's new pet lake... Muskelunge.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i think this is a good idea...... but i also dont want to see this become a huge pissin match cause my lake or your lake didnt get picked ..... and somebody's feelings get hurt in the process and lose boats on a weekly basis... that i feel would defeat the whole pourpus of a fun tourny series..... it wuld also be nice in my opinion if we were able to find some fresh water that most havent fished ....... (i no i no mike has fished all the water within 500 miles and does well at all lol) just a thought ! well anyway i will go with whatever justin decides but mabe even a council over the winter time ? stricktly volenteer basis to bounce around a few ideas hmmm ? as far as me pickin a lake ill have to think bout it and get back to ya cause i cant catch fish anywhere lol

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
i didn't vote because i have to be there anyway. everything is up in the air, but probably won't do 15 straight monday nights next year. 12 will probably be the magic number then we can schedule the end of the year events earlier in sept to avoid scheduling problems with hunting seasons as well as toss in a by week or 2.

as for lakes.. if you want to fish 3 lakes or 12 doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
I agree... every Monday probably isn't necessary.

Tell you what... I'll toss together a list of lakes we can fish given several factors:

Ramp
Distance From Grand Rapids proper
Fishable by smaller boats as well as larger boats (this based on some of the boats that showed up this season... which is great!!).

·
Super Moderator
16,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let's let this thread run for a bit to see what others say - then maybe post a thread for guys to make some suggestions to , and then you can add or subtract from there.
I'd love to see 10-15 lakes , but it depends on what the other regulars suggest , of course.
Sound good??

·
Super Moderator
16,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oops... too late!

But I did base the starting list in that thread on lakes mentioned to me here or at the ramps this season.

You know me... I'll fish anywhere as long as I can get there on time!!!
You can DELETE the thread - it's not too late....
:lol:
Like you'd do that!

So then , are you going to give any POSITIVE input Justin???

:help:

·
Registered
85 Posts
i think that it all went well last season and everyone had fun but would like to see more lakes thatn just the five that we fished this year but not going further then tamerrack and i just want to thank justin and mike for all that they have done to keep this leage going they have done a very good job at it so thanks guys and cant wiat till the morning to fish reeds see ya all there

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I liked how we did it last year, at the end of weigh-in those present pick the a lake for the next time.

Either that or we just change it to 'Case of the BPI's"!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I liked how we did it last year, at the end of weigh-in those present pick the a lake for the next time.

Either that or we just change it to 'Case of the BPI's"!
we just went to bass, bwf, lwf when we did that though...:lol:
and camp i guess:yikes:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
WOW.....

First I am touched, considering the fact that. I didn't fish with you guys this year. The reasons for not joining up with you all were varied, mostly just dealing with waterfoul was too much. J/K couldn't resist :lol:

I had one of my worst and best summers.... work seemed to come out of the wood work. For my line of work that is a good intended PUN :lol:

I didn't have my boat were I wanted it to be, long restoration process. Time just wasn't on my side. Fractured my collar bone first week of July.
In spite of all of this, when I did go fishing, I had good catches, of good fish. Rather than my usual boat ride.

What I am attempting to point out in my long winded digressing manner. I MISSED YOU GUYS. Now for my opinions.

I voted for fishing 10 or more lakes.

The more lakes the better. I noticed several pissed and moaned about particular lakes. (yes I have been keeping tabs on y'all) So to fish those particular lakes TWICE, I can see the issues at hand. Seems that some lakes had participants show up only for those lakes, and they cleaned house. "Who were those guys?" I also noted that if you draw a lateral line E - W thru Grand Rapids. 95% of the lakes were NORF. I know this is biased since I am in Holland.

Suggestion, without knowing everyones particular place of residence.... Use GR as a center, Pick out 20 lakes and arrive at a census (vote) sorry that time of year. This creates an oppurtunity for others to participate on the COTM. This also creates, the situation of others not fishing every COTM.

EOY final should be a lake that has been fished at least once. With only a 48 hour notice. **you know your going to have at least an hour drive** who cares which direction. I also see the advantage of picking a lake that provided the most and biggest limits.

On a personal note, I would like to attempt to run a COTM south of the GR lateral. several lakes in Allegan, Barry. Maybe that will be a possiblity for me in 2009.

Aint shwa glad yeh asked me opinion ?? :dizzy:

Glad you guys had fun,

Lance

·
Registered
667 Posts
No more Bass Lake or Tamarack three times :mad:. Just kidding of course...I think the lakes this year were fine, although I'd like to see a bit more diversity...

The problem with input from the guys fishing these tourneys is that many who fish the COTM tourneys aren't members on this site. That being said, I don't think it's asking TOO much for those NOT on this site to join up and contribute a bit.

In terms of specific lakes, I for one could care less where we fish, as long as the lake has some big bass. I would, however, like to see some different lakes thrown into the mix, that get POUNDED (Wabasis). These types of lakes to me are far more challenging than a lake like Tamarack, where just about everybody can get a limit on almost any day of the week.

I'd also like to see some lakes that fish similar to Tamarack, to entice more anglers to come. Not to mention, fish at least 1 or 2 bigger lakes next year (like White, Muskegon, etc...). I realize there are smaller boats that fish in these, but I also know from fishing both these lakes that you can still be 'safe' in a small boat, as there is a LOT of fishable water on these lakes that doesn't get too rough.

·
Banned
2,218 Posts
For me, I will just have to make the lakes I can, and forget the yearly points race, driving south of GR is outta reach for me for a 3-3 1/2 hour tournament, similar to Pwog's situation, im a caregiver, so my time away is limited at best, case in point, the classic is over the limits, but found a little help to allow me to participate, Pwog was not so fortunate.
Pick the lakes that fish best, and forget the rest!
As was prooven this year the tuffer lakes just mean smaller bags, and were all in it to FISH, if we get lucky and happen to bag enuff to win YEHAA, but I can see the arguement of the long haulers, and when the south of GR lakes make the schedule, I will be 1 of them also!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
i'm not knockin the idea of picking lakes, but the last 2 years has taught me is that there probably won't be more than 2 or 3 lakes that everyone will agree on. If we pick 10.. fine but i guarantee that there will be close to an equal amount of dissenters for each lake.. thats just statistics folks. There will be lakes like Tamarack that everyone loves of course, but we won't come up with 5 "tamarack"s let alone 10.

Everyone is certainly entitled to voice their opinion and i will certainly listen take it under consideration. Fact of the matter is, I'm the one who has to sift through all the information and try and come up with a reasonable compromise. The 2008 schedule directly reflected the lakes that people seemed to like the most in 2007. I'm all for trying new lakes and tweaking things - but the fact still remains... if we took a vote on BPI, BWF, LWF or Bass lake... we'd probalby have 50/50 split of yeahs/nays.. so then what?
I think adding 2 or 3 more lakes and fishing a couple of them twice is fine ( i don't think we'll find 12).

If it means having someone run a GR-South divison next year so be it.

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Ah... finally a voice or reason... saying exactly what I tried to say all season this year.

This is the only club I fish where people seem to feel "entitled" to a say in what lakes are fished. Every other club it's the director or directors that make up the schedule and the fishermen simply fish the lakes the want or are able to fish. Makes perfect sense to me.

I for one don't feel the need for a "southern" division. With a few exceptions, the lakes south of here simply don't fish as well as the lakes we fished this season... or many others that would be considered north of GR. Trust me I've fished many of them more often than is necessary to this to be fact. I'd love to fish more than just the 5 lakes we fished this season though... the more the better in my book.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts