Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Deer & Deer Hunting magazine September issue. An article written by biologist Wayne Laroche & behavior editor Charles Alsheimer gives their forecast for the 2008 rut;

1. Seeking Phase: 2-3 days before the full moon of Nov. 13.
2. Chasing Phase: will be obvious by Nov. 15 and should intensify by Nov. 17-18.
3. Breeding Phase: will be noticeable by Nov. 18-28 with peek breeding occurring around Nov. 23.

The ruts "sweet spot" should occurr between the dates of Nov. 15-24.

Lets hope that their predictions are right on the money! It is an interesting article to read. This is information taken from the article and not my predictions before all the usual negative post come flying.

ST8

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These two authors have been studying deer behavior all their lives; the information was from their most recent study on "how both sunlight and moonlight influence the rut's timing". From the article; "We believe that, at some point in autumn, the amount of daylight decreases enough to reset (or engage) the whitetail doe's reproductive clock, thus placing the breeding season from September through January in the Northern Hemisphere. Once the doe's reproductive cycle is reset by a specific amount of daylight, her estrous cycle is ready to be cued by a full moon, which provides a bright-light stimulus to the pieneal gland several nights in a row each lunar month". They also mention "Ruth Suppressors" such as;

1. Storms. Heavy rains/snows will temporarily slow deer activity.
2. Warm weather. "deer activity slows dramatically when air temperatures rise above the seasonal norm for an area".
3. Sex ratios. "The closer the ratio is 1 buck to 1 doe; the greater the deer activity will be".
4. Human pressure. "hunting in areas frequented by people will almost always result in fewer daytime deer sightings".

Again this is info from their article and its interesting to read their predictions. Its worth the $4.99 price!

ST8

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I always thought it was the shorter amount of daylight and a drop in temps is what causes the does to start their estrus cycle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's different in every area, they may be right on in their area or whatever area they studied, but, it's different in every area. I've hunted downstate (Oakland County) and it wasn't "rut-mania" like it was the day after up north (Roscommon County).

Not trying to be negative, just throwin' it out there.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah, there is so much information and "urban legends" about the rut but one thing the article made quite a bit of sense about is that when the breeding hits its peak, the activity just dies completely! I know last year about Nov. 17 on, I saw absolutely nothing in our area of southwest Michigan. It was just insane how the activity just went to zero!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I seen one of Alsheimer's seminars last year and think he is onto something. He has numerous years of consistent data. Last year his prime time was October 26 which sounded a little early to me, but I did see more bucks at this time than I did the first week of November. My favorite days have been November 4-6, but this may explain why on some years I haven't seen any activity on these days when the weather conditions were perfect. I plan on keeping track of his recommendations and seeing how they stack up against what I'm seeing.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
One thing Charlie doesn't consider in his research is that the MDNR has the power, and authority, to cancell/postpone the rut, just like they did last year.
My sources in the MDNR told me that if hunters don't take advantage of the EAS that the rut will be cancelled indefinitely.

Big T

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
wow, tell your sources if they can't do better managing the michigan deer herds to get more quality bucks, maybe we should contract there jobs out to a private company. The way I see it until they stop managing the state in three parts and start looking more at each county or even township not much is going to change.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
............ but I did see more bucks at this time than I did the first week of November. My favorite days have been November 4-6, but this may explain why on some years I haven't seen any activity on these days when the weather conditions were perfect........

My opinion is you need to be at the right place at the right time.

Last year on Nov 7th or so I sat in a spot that I ”knew” would be great. It wasn’t. I saw 4-5 does.

½ mile away my buddy had one of the best hunts of his life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts