Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a long long season I have finally found time to throw a few stories and pictures from our hunts. I will start off with my dads hunt. Me and Ryan (Chuckinduck) had been watching some birds for a few days and decided to get our dad into the woods with us to try and get him one of the two big boys we'd seen. Saturday May 19th we'd watched a couple large birds and things didn't go our way so we tried something new on Sunday morning and had both birds working our way, unfortunately the two large toms split up when they were just about in range, Ryan and I both had a shot at the one Tom but we wanted pops to whack the larger of the two so we passed him up. Neither Ryan or I have passed up any 10+" birds so it was a little difficult letting the one walk in hopes that the second bird would still give our dad a shot. After a few tense minutes the large Tom finally moved into range and our dad dropped the bird. We all jumped up and high fived after seeing his bird hit the ground, it was his biggest bird and taped out at 11.25", 1 3/8" spurs and 25#.
Unfortunately part of the beard got decapitated in this pic!
[/IMG]
A better look at the whole beard!
[/IMG]

Ryan (Chuckinduck)was up next and hit the woods to try and tag the other Tom that we both let walk during our dads hunt. He asked if I wanted to go that morning but I was still in a bad mood after the wings playoff exit the night before so I skipped the hunt. At 6:15 a.m. I got a picture message on my cell phone showing an empty Winchester Supreme 3 1/2" turkey load with the words "End of Story" shown below the photo. From what I have been told that bird flew straight off the roost to Ryan and walked right into harms way and Ryan dropped the bird at 25 yards. His bird was 10 1/2" 20# and 3/4" spurs.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I was up last and spent a few days in Alpena chasing birds but never saw a bird I wanted to shoot. Time was running out after the memorial day weekend and I knew things weren't looking good. On Tuesday (May 29th) night I roosted a tom that had been spending almost all of his time on the neighbors property but had slipped up and got caught on our side of the road, I ended up sheep dogging the bird into our woodlot for the night. I called Ryan and told him I'd roosted the tom from across the road and that he was in our woods, the next morning we called him off the roost but unfortunately two hens intercepted him on his way to us. We ran out of time and had to take off for work although I planned on coming back that evening. After I got out of work I got to the property and the same Tom was with a hen before I could get into the field. I watched for a bit and decided I'd just wait for him to roost up and then go home, all of sudden he left the field and headed into the neighboring field and I figured he'd continue on his path and head to the roost..........10 minutes later the hen and tom turned and headed back to where they had been when I first saw them. I knew if I could haul butt up the road and then across the field I may have a shot at intercepting them.....problem was I had no time to change out of my work clothes......knowing I was running out of time I grabbed the shotgun, 1 mouth call and 1 winchester supreme and booked it down the road across the field and up a tree line. I got behind the biggest oak I could find and within 10 minutes I had talked the hen within range and shortly thereafter the tom followed, at about 40 yards the hen began looking around and i knew the gig would bust soon and I slipped out from behind the tree and dropped the Tom. Yes the clothes I had on in the picture are the same clothes I killed him in........definately a first for me! Thank god for big Oak Trees! He was 10 1/2" 22 pounds, an 1" spurs
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Great stories, Aaron! I especially liked yours! That's fantastic that you shot him in your work clothes! Just goes to show that any camoflage pattern will work, even the new "Office Blend-in"!

Great birds and a great season for you guys!

Chris

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
You guys sure got your moneys worth out of this season...lots of hunts, lots of close-calls and ultimately, lots of meat! ;)

Congrats on your great birds and great photos too!

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
3 great birds and great hunts to get them. Your the first person I know to call in a turkey in white pants and a red shirt. Congratulations!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Ed, I think the turkey saw the red and white and just thought it was the head of a really big gobbler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts