Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My three roomates from college and I have started a "tradition" of trying to get together once a year for a hunting/fishing trip, and about once every three years for an actual out of state hunting adventure.

We are looking at 2007 as our next out of state trip. We would like to spend about $3,500 each. Any ideas or advice?

Not to start any debates, but we would prefer not to hunt on a "preserve/fenced ranch", and would like to stick to normal N. American critters.

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Not what you are looking for, but here is an idea.

How about reducing your pot to $2500/person, and spending the other $1000 to take a kid with you. Maybe give them a new hunting outfit, gun, trip of a lifetime. I will bet it will give you and your friends the best hunting trips of their lives!

Other than that, I hear Alaska is nice.:)

·
Registered
420 Posts
For that much money each, you could have a whale of a trip to some overlooked states like Utah. There is (usually) an outfitter at the Traditional Bowhunting Expo in Kalamazoo that offers guided hunts in Utah for bowhunters with some awesome results on big mule deer for quite a lot less than your figure.

I'd check Utah, Washington, and California for deer.

Best of luck, Arch

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I have no specifics, but one thing I have always wanted to do was go on an antelope hunt.

I just think they look really cool and unique for a N. American critter.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KingFishCam - That's a good idea. Don't think it will fly this time round, but maybe in the future!

Arch - I will look into trips to those states. Do you have any experience hunting in them?

DTrain - That is part of what we are looking at as of now. A mule deer/goat hunt combo. Although I have heard that by deer season, the goat hunting isn't the best and they are starting to drop?

We aren't necessasarily looking for strictly trophys, but would like a fun trip and to see game.

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
Contact Keith Atcheson of Atcheson & Sons in Butte Montana. www.atcheson.com A buddy and I did a combo mule deer and antelope hunt through him a few years ago and had a blast. We took a 5x5 and 6x5 mulie with spreads in the 25" range and he shot a 14" goat while mine went a hair over 15". We have since booked other hunts through Keith for other game. He has always given us great advice and the outfitters they work with are top notch.

Jeff

·
Registered
153 Posts
My vote would be Alaska or Canada. They both have great hunting and fishing. They also have larger game than you can find in most of the lower 48 states.

Thats my .02

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
You guys could do a 10 day horseback mountain lion hunt based out of a mountain tent camp in Montana for about that price.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tecumseh said:
You guys could do a 10 day horseback mountain lion hunt based out of a mountain tent camp in Montana for about that price.
Do you have an outfitter's name?

·
Registered
748 Posts
We hunted in Southeastern Idaho this past fall. We opted for a do it your self archery Elk trip and had some success. Didn't seal the deal, but some opportunities presented themselves. A lot of the areas are over the counter tags for elk, mule, bear. Lots of land to hunt. Feel free to Pm me if you would like more info. What would you prefer to hunt?

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not just what I want to hunt, it is what all four of us want to hunt. This fall we did a semi-guided Maine bear hunt (we went 0 for 4 due to bad weather). We had fun, but none of us even saw a bear while hunting. It kind of bummed everyone out. So I would like whatever we decide to try to be something where we WILL see game (or at least have a real decent chance, as I know fair chase is never 100%).

Originally we had planned a bou hunt this past fall, but we got left hanging in the wind by the outfitter, then tried to draw muley tags in Montana but were unsuccesful, and the bear hunt was plan C.

I think we would like to try Muleys or Whitetails or Antelope or a combo.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
For that amount you can get a great caribou hunt in Quebec or Labrador, Canada. There are tons of animals and it is the closest thing you'll get to a guaranteed animal in the wild. Only drawback is dealing with Canadian gun laws, but if the paperwork is done there is little hassle. For that price you can take two caribou and the meat is great!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Our group is looking at going to Colorado on a elk hunt this year. It is a do it yourself hunt but we are going through a outfitter, it is a drop camp hunt. We need to bring our food and hunting gear only, the camp is completly set up. They take you in on horse back and will pack out the animal for you if you get one. I have been in contact with their references and most everyone said they saw elk. The actual shots taken was different due to the fact some guys were bow hunting and some were looking for a specific size, but I would say over all 75% said they had shot opportunity. The camp is about $1000.00 for the week and the tag is $458.00, we figure it will be right around $2500.00 by the time we are done.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
superposed20ga said:
For that amount you can get a great caribou hunt in Quebec or Labrador, Canada. There are tons of animals and it is the closest thing you'll get to a guaranteed animal in the wild. Only drawback is dealing with Canadian gun laws, but if the paperwork is done there is little hassle. For that price you can take two caribou and the meat is great!
Which outfitter would you use? We got left hanging by Mirage (who is supposed to be one of the best) last year. They assured us we had a spot (I called them once a month for a year and a half making sure) and then they were all full once we had all our eggs in their basket.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
$3500 gives you alot of choices. Depending on what you have did in the past i'd look at a September caribou, Canadian whitetail or mule deer/ antelope combo out west

·
Registered
157 Posts
superposed20ga said:
that'd be my choice if i were spending that much you can do elk alot cheaper.
are there any odd laws for transporting a bow into canada?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The best trip I have done was an Elk Hunt in Colorado in 2004. A buddy of mine took me out there on a self guided backpacking hunt I will never forget. He scored a nice 4X4 opening morning and I scored a nice 6X3 (broken antler) the opening evening. We hiked in 3-4 miles set up a camp, scouted the area ourselves all on public land. There was a guides camp about 2 miles from us and the other public land hunters hunted probably no more then 1 mile in the woods.

The cost was:

Hunting Permit $500
Backpack/Tent/Misc gear $800
Gas $500
New 300 Win Mag $1200 (wife made me do it) :lol:

Grand total $3000

Plus you have everthing needed to do it again for less then $1000 :yikes: for a great do it your self huntiong trip.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hmm Hunting trip on that budget, Let me think for minute. (3 sec)
Well ok since you said big game that rules out Mexico for Ducks.

So the only other available thing I can think of off the top of my head is CANADIAN MOOSE BABY!! One tag with two bonus carabou tags and that is the possibility of a nice moose and two freezer fillers. Not too mention the fishing outside of camp and the entire thing done in the NORTH country where trees are abotu 4 foot tall and a TON of lichen.

Of coarse if I was after ducks it would be Alaska fly in Govt. Cabin and fish and ducks all day for a week but hey that is my second desire.

No matter what I am sure you guys will have fun.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone ever hunted Anticosti?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts