Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some questions for you experts out there. I am thinking of purchasing a boat with a 50 HP 4 stroke mercury tiller steer on it but, I cant use a tiller my left arm hardly works and my right isn't very strong either. I want to make sure it is possible to change this specific motor to controls and helm steering. I have already looked into what a console will cost me and I think it is worth it as long as I can do the change over. The motor does have electric start and trim. It is model number 50 ELHPT Here are some pics.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tire Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Rim
View attachment 217034

Attachments

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The cost of controls could be around $500+-. Then there is the steering wheel, mounting and cables, cost and installation. Hyd steering would be the way to go with your arm problems.
Unless you find a wrecked boat with the Merc equipment that you could salvage from. It is doable, but at what cost? How much can you do yourself?
I'd recommend finding another boat pkg to buy and skip this one. You would be fishing a lot sooner and know everything works. JMO.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys ebijack I don't think I will need to go with a hydraulic my right arm should be strong enough to handle a good cable system. I can drive my truck with my right arm pretty good and I have owned other console boats so I go a pretty good idea od what to expect. I'll keep what you said in mind though.

Quack Wacker I have been thinking about putting a hot foot on just so I can keep both hands on the wheel, but I can't use a stick steer because as far as I have seen anyway they are on the left and my left arm doesn't work very well at all. I can barely hold a cup of coffee, it sucks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't end up buying that boat. That 4 stroke didn't have any of bracketry needed and the tiller was another bunch of problems. I did just buy a 17 ft roughneck with an 01 50 HP optimax tiller. I took it to the Merc dealer and it is going to be much easier to change over to a console with controls. Now I am looking for a aluminum console. I am hoping to find somewhere local instead of ordering over the internet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts