Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhhhhhhhhh.....

It is sooooo nice to be back on the water again. The "Pete & RePete" took her maiden voyage for this season. I was accompanied by a couple buddies of mine and we trailered down to Michigan City for some early season March action.

Turns out the "Pete & RePete" is in mid-season fish catching form as we picked away at 'em and ended up a perfect 11 for 11 on the day. Finally tally was 8 coho that were all in the 2-3 pound range and 3 browns (3, 3, and 5 lbs.).

It was pea soup as we broke the pier-heads. Went west and in towards shore and slowly ran towards Burns Harbor until we found some warm water to fish. Started to encounter some warm water from the power plant just east of Burns Harbor and sat down to work that water. A combination of body baits, spoons, and dodger/flys on 4 boards, 2 slide divers, 2 riggers, and 1 high line did the damage.

All of the following took fish... Reef Runner Little Ripper in flame color (my hottest bait last spring), a Little Ripper in oahue red color, the good ol' red w/ black squiggle Thin Fin, orange jointed Rapala (#9), Stinger monkey shine spoon (regular size), and a small red alderton Z-flasher with a green Howie coho fly.

We worked water depths of 10 - 25 FOW. The water temps were anywhere from 42 to 63 degrees. Like I said... we picked away at 'em because it seemed there was no real concentration or pattern.... but still ended up with a very respectable day.

Woooohooooo... the 2004 big lake boat season is underway!!!! :D :D

Next weekend... a few Brownies in St. Joe!! ;)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
63 degrees were you near a discharge?I fished southern Lake Huron the best water temp I could find was 40

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep.... near the discharge of the power plant there.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
Good report Don. Should have fished there, but my brother in law (from NW Indiana) wanted to come up and fish up here.:rolleyes:

Always nice to punch a few tickets though. Those little coho are yummy.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
Back to work today eh?:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts