Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just called me about giving him a hand with winterizing his boat and I have a question about the lower unit. I have done older Alpha Ones before by pulling them off and doing the normal greasing and fluid change but I was wondering about the newer models. I have heard that removal isn't necessary, that there is a fitting on the spine that can be reached form inside the boat (I have seen this on a '96) and the U-joints are the "sealed" type without zerks. Also, the lower unit fluid has the remote reservoir on the motor. If the lower unit must be removed for greasing, does the fluid hafta be drained before? I know for the Volvo's I don't drain the lower until the last step, just incase of bad seals. Will the fluid from the reservoir drain out when the bottom plug on the lower is pulled?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Bill,
Mine is a '97 Alpha Gen +. Removal is still necessary to grease the splines and replace the main seal and oring. I believe there is a quick disconnect mechanism in the housing because you can just remove the lower unit and the remote reservoir does not drain out. However, when you drain the lower unit (while still bolted to the transom) it will drain the remote reservoir also.

You do not have to drain the fluid before removing the lower unit. Also, you can grease the gimbal bearing from inside the boat at the very rear of the engine just inside the transom. This will not grease the splines which should be done every 100-150hrs or so for trolling boats.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts