Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 johnson outboard seems to be leaking a brown sludge after several hours of running it. It is coming out of the exhaust ports above the water line and when I take it out of the water it oozes out of a small hole above where the main shaft of the motor attaches to the lower unit. Its oily brown and smells like gas/oil??? Has happened all 3 times its been run. I thought it may have been burning off the fogging oil/stabil??

I have run it 3 times but most of the time has been trolling, I have only run it fast for a short time

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Unburnt oil.Engine not getting hot enough to burn it all off. Happens when trolling.

If you do alot of trolling you may want to mix a little lighter. I have been mixing 65-70 to 1 for a long time and have never had any issues. The VRO systems are variable injection. At Idle or trolling speed it may be running 100.1 at full power it may be running 45.1. VRO systems are not consistant. I scrapped mine and mix my own for peace of mind.

Use a quality oil too. Not the no name stuff you buy at the gas station. I use Merc oil for my merc, and Johnson oil for my johnson.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts