Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this when I skinned my deer the other day. Thought some might find it interesting. Remington Accutip.

20180101_131527.jpg

20180101_131501.jpg

20180101_131438.jpg

Shot was probably 40 yards or so and from the ground. Deer was dead in seconds. It entered and exited around the second rib. Broke a lot of bone and damaged some front shoulder meat.

20180101_113958.jpg

Historically, I have tended to shoot a little far back (like liverish) while focusing on staying away from the front shoulder meat. This year, I made a specific effort to try to shoot a little farther forward (even with the bow) and I think it paid off. I saw all 4 of my kills fall. Lucky? Probably, but I will take it!

20171230_180842.jpg

105# 3.5YO

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I found this when I skinned my deer the other day. Thought some might find it interesting. Remington Accutip.

View attachment 289584

View attachment 289585

View attachment 289586

Shot was probably 40 yards or so and from the ground. Deer was dead in seconds. It entered and exited around the second rib. Broke a lot of bone and damaged some front shoulder meat.

View attachment 289587

Historically, I have tended to shoot a little far back (like liverish) while focusing on staying away from the front shoulder meat. This year, I made a specific effort to try to shoot a little farther forward (even with the bow) and I think it paid off. I saw all 4 of my kills fall. Lucky? Probably, but I will take it!

View attachment 289590
105# 3.5YO
The slug looks like it is supposed to look..
All mush-roomed out..
Still intact and not all broke up..
(If breaking up is "totally bad"...??)
Congrats! !! Awesome season for you! !!
I'm happy for you. ..

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments.

Here is a screenshot I pulled from the web. The circle was already there, I didn't add it. Anyway, I think it illustrates the difference between a shot that hits in the first few ribs and one that hits in the last few ribs (what I earlier referred to as "liverish").

Screenshot_2017-10-30-22-18-20.png

Both shots are lethal, but I much prefer the outcome with the more-forward shot. Death comes more quickly and the gut job is cleaner and less smelly. Ties into the other thread about tainted meat, in that the odor doesn't get in your nose and stick with you everytime you handle the deer.

I'm sure there are other opinions on this, just sharing my experience from this season.

Does that kind of bullet expansion come from hitting bone? Or would it have mushroomed just from the initial penetration?

I do like that DSG. I have killed deer out to 125 yards, but I am sure it could go further if I was any kind of good shot!

Nothing better than that feeling! Congratulations to you.
The slug looks like it is supposed to look..
All mush-roomed out..
Still intact and not all broke up..
(If breaking up is "totally bad"...??)
Congrats! !! Awesome season for you! !!
I'm happy for you. ..
Looks just like it should. Nice

·
Registered
11,206 Posts
Nice shooting labtech. If you want to see the deer drop where it was standing when you shot it, aim straight up vertically from the front legs and about 5 inches below the top of the back for a "Brachial Plexus" shot (sometimes referred to as the "High Shoulder Shot). This shot "shocks" the central nervous system and kills instantly. The deer will pull up all four legs and drop on its chin. It does cause some trauma in the front shoulders but there is no tracking involved.

Looking at your diagram the BP shot would be higher up and further left near the center of the scapula.

Of course, this shot is for firearms only - not recommended as an archery shot.

Reactions: mustang72
1 - 6 of 6 Posts