Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Serious question...
How does one know a test is a false positive or a false negative?
I get tested, test comes back positive/negative 2 days later. How is it determined if it's accurate?

·
Registered
35,254 Posts
A lot did die back in the spring. But going off the current tally of confirmed deaths, we’ve seen just as many die in Michigan since October 19 as we did before then. This fall/winter has also been rough.
I posted the current numbers. Can you post the pre October 19th numbers vs the post for us please?

·
Premium Member
28,119 Posts
Then you should be asking WHO since they are the ones that made the statement.
No - Dr. Samadi, a radioliogiost who has nothing at all to do with the WHO made the statement.

What the WHO said was:

WHO guidance Diagnostic testing for SARS-CoV-2 states that careful interpretation of weak positive results is needed (1). The cycle threshold (Ct) needed to detect virus is inversely proportional to the patient’s viral load. Where test results do not correspond with the clinical presentation, a new specimen should be taken and retested using the same or different NAT technology.

WHO reminds IVD users that disease prevalence alters the predictive value of test results; as disease prevalence decreases, the risk of false positive increases (2). This means that the probability that a person who has a positive result (SARS-CoV-2 detected) is truly infected with SARS-CoV-2 decreases as prevalence decreases, irrespective of the claimed specificity.

... and

Careful interpretation of weak positive NAAT results is needed, as some of the assays have shown to produce false signals at high Ct values. When test results turn out to be invalid or questionable, the patient should be resampled and retested. If additional samples from the patient are not available, RNA should be re-extracted from the original samples and retested by highly experienced staff. Results can be confirmed by an alternative NAAT test or via virus sequencing if the viral load is sufficiently high. Laboratories are urged to seek reference laboratory confirmation of any unexpected results.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
No - Dr. Samadi, a radioliogiost who has nothing at all to do with the WHO made the statement.

What the WHO said was:

WHO guidance Diagnostic testing for SARS-CoV-2 states that careful interpretation of weak positive results is needed (1). The cycle threshold (Ct) needed to detect virus is inversely proportional to the patient’s viral load. Where test results do not correspond with the clinical presentation, a new specimen should be taken and retested using the same or different NAT technology.

WHO reminds IVD users that disease prevalence alters the predictive value of test results; as disease prevalence decreases, the risk of false positive increases (2). This means that the probability that a person who has a positive result (SARS-CoV-2 detected) is truly infected with SARS-CoV-2 decreases as prevalence decreases, irrespective of the claimed specificity.

... and

Careful interpretation of weak positive NAAT results is needed, as some of the assays have shown to produce false signals at high Ct values. When test results turn out to be invalid or questionable, the patient should be resampled and retested. If additional samples from the patient are not available, RNA should be re-extracted from the original samples and retested by highly experienced staff. Results can be confirmed by an alternative NAAT test or via virus sequencing if the viral load is sufficiently high. Laboratories are urged to seek reference laboratory confirmation of any unexpected results.
The WHO also said:

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

·
Registered
25,185 Posts

What the WHO said was:

... and

What did the Doctor say that WHO did not? - WHO Information Notice for IVD Users 2020/05

·
Super Moderator
35,178 Posts
Some of ya'll are half submerged just grasping at anything, even if its not rational or wouldn't make anything close to significant difference.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
That is not 2%, that is 2/10 of 1%. That is how many people have died in Michigan. Is what we are doing worth it?
Florida which has remained open is even less. I happened to do the math on it last night after I showed the math to my 9 yr old about the latest covid relief bill.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Serious question...
How does one know a test is a false positive or a false negative?
I get tested, test comes back positive/negative 2 days later. How is it determined if it's accurate?
My 3 friends recently had it and tested negative 3 times while their family members tested positive.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,112 Posts
61 - 80 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.