Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to see them allowed and don't see a single downside imo.
Mouilee has the worst access, E-bikes would open up so many opportunities to the far units in addition to deer hunting and ice fishing.
Whatcha think?

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I’ve seen E-bikes down there already. Made me want to get one until I found out they weren’t legal. I don’t mind a little leg workout from my pedal bike, lord knows I need it, but an E-bike would be nice for those spots way in the back.

I’ve heard rumors online that if it’s 750 watts or less it’s legally considered “non-motorized”. Anybody know if that’s true?

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Maybe they should think about legalizing something, to help keep older hunters hunting. You know, hunter retention.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe they should think about legalizing something, to help keep older hunters hunting. You know, hunter retention.
Yes, I can only see positives with em, bikes are already allowed so having power assist shouldn’t be a big deal imo.
Too many good zones that are left unhunted because of walking distance. Every age would benefit from them. Who can I present this too?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I’ve seen E-bikes down there already. Made me want to get one until I found out they weren’t legal. I don’t mind a little leg workout from my pedal bike, lord knows I need it, but an E-bike would be nice for those spots way in the back.

I’ve heard rumors online that if it’s 750 watts or less it’s legally considered “non-motorized”. Anybody know if that’s true?
There’s 3 different categories of e bikes. It’s listed somewhere on the michigan dnr page.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I’m pretty sure at Shi they said it’s because they are then considered a vehicle or motor bike. Something like that. Hence why they are illegal.

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
For $1400 that better come with one of those rubber bulbed squeezy horns and an orange flag.

Saw a guy towing a stand up paddle board behind a fat tire bike one time. I think. It was 4:30 in the morning and we were on the way to the boat launch. Was not expecting that.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
For $1400 that better come with one of those rubber bulbed squeezy horns and an orange flag.

Saw a guy towing a stand up paddle board behind a fat tire bike one time. I think. It was 4:30 in the morning and we were on the way to the boat launch. Was not expecting that.
It already has chrome 20's on it, how much more can you ask for?

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
May, 2018 FREEP article

In Michigan, a new state law classifies e-bikes, paradoxically, as non-motorized vehicles. As of Jan. 28, they're rated the same as ordinary bikes for traffic enforcement. Not so on Michigan's bike paths and nature trails. The new law gives trail managers and oversight boards a choice: They can stand back and let the newbies glide alongside regular hikers and bikers, and even horseback riders. Or they can hold public hearings to let community users weigh in, then vote.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
th
May, 2018 FREEP article

In Michigan, a new state law classifies e-bikes, paradoxically, as non-motorized vehicles. As of Jan. 28, they're rated the same as ordinary bikes for traffic enforcement. Not so on Michigan's bike paths and nature trails. The new law gives trail managers and oversight boards a choice: They can stand back and let the newbies glide alongside regular hikers and bikers, and even horseback riders. Or they can hold public hearings to let community users weigh in, then vote.

that is wild, i've ridden one that will do 35mph with minimal effort. (pedal assist)

·
Registered
313 Posts
My garage is full of fat tire e-bikes, there awesome, but the stupid no mechanical driven vehicle rule is absurd.
you cant even run pedal bikes on state land near me.
if anybody is looking for one or wants a test ride, pm me.
I have 6 more flat black ones coming in March. 750 watt, 48 volt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts