Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
He lost me when he was talking 3.5 shells, for teal? WHY? I don't use them for geese.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
4's or 5's for ducks, MAYBE 3's late season. All 3"

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Ive

Ive heard a lot of people doing #6 in early teal. Also im hearing a lot of people talk about Boss shells
I looked at them on line. Too expensive.

I don't know what I will do when I run out. The place I used to buy ammo is now out of business.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Used Kent 3" #5 for teal last year with great success. Used winchester #4 prior. It doesn't take big shot to kill a teal. More pellets the better in my opinion

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like anywhere between #6-#4 is the sweet spot so #5 is right in the middle. Seems like a good compromise

·
Registered
17,423 Posts
Teal die easy. Open chokes and 4 shot. No need for heavy guns and brutal loads.

Old school lead says 7.5 trap loads were used.

Reactions: Pat P

·
Registered
630 Posts
I use 3.5" 4s pretty much all teal/duck season until we start diver hunting then i go to BB

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Open chokes and 4's for Teal but if geese are an option then 2's are my 2nd and 3rd shells in the gun. I can rack one out pretty quick as the geese work. Steve

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Teal die easy. Open chokes and 4 shot. No need for heavy guns and brutal loads.

Old school lead says 7.5 trap loads were used.
I have never tried it myself but I read this article the other day about teal hunting. The author makes a pretty interesting argument about using nunber 7 steel for teal. He makes some interesting observations about shot count and the size of the pellets getting through feathers that I wouldnt have thought of.

I know grouse hunters make the same claim about 7 1/2 shot when the leaves are on the trees because the pellets get through the leafy vegetation better.

https://www.realtree.com/waterfowl-hunting/articles/teal-tactics-big-strategies-for-small-ducks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts