Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mercury 2 stroke Premium plus oil is up to $40 a gallon. I see some stuff at Walmart for $12.96 that is tcw3 rated. Anybody else using that. I cant rember the brand name.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I suggest you check out an outboard forum like at iboats.com.......You will find an endless amount of opinion on this subject.:lol:

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
There's been a few posts here and there lately about TCW-3 oil ... why some is $6/gallon and others $17/gallon. Not intending to start a flame ... but to simply to educate people, here are some facts on the TCW-3 rating/certification:

Not all TCW-3 oil is the same. Most important to remember is that the TCW rating is a MINIMUM standard. The oil quality can be better, in fact significantly better, like that which the OB mfg'rs market.

Facts:
Standard TCW-3 testing for this oil accepts up to 14% piston scuffing while carbon inhibitors must be 8 to 12% of the total oil mix by volume.

FWIW, for the premium blends sold by Bombardier, Mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc. must pass their own proprietary higher standards. Typical specs from the premium blends are 0% piston scuffing while carbon inhibitors must be 12 to 24% of the total oil mix by volume.

That said ... not all OBs, even the same brand and consecutive serial numbers, will exhibit carbon coking the same. There are way too many variables, i.e., finish of the castings, load, use, prop pitch, duty cycle, etc., so I'm not going to comment on what people should use ... just illustrating some facts about these oils.

We report ... you decide ...
http://www.thehulltruth.com/archive/t-30160.html

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Not saying Walmart is the way to go but more specifically I'm looking at using legend oil in my mercury.

We've been using it in snowmobiles and yard eqt and it doesn't get all carboned up and doesn't have the foul smell. It smells like laundry soap while being burnt in the machine. It cost in the same nieghborhood, $35/gallon I think.

Many others like AMS oil as well but I've heard mixed results.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
I think my 225 Opti costs somewhere around $20k. It would take allot of $15 savings on a gallon of oil to pay for a new one! I stick with Merc.

I just tried switching from Merc Quickleen to Seafoam last year. Bad idea! Got a whole 25 hours out of my NGK Iridiums. Saved $2, cost me $90. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a 75 hp merc 10 years old bought it new and never had a problem with it (knock on wood). Always used premium plus. Maybe I should leave well enough alone

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
44 Posts
I raced Mercury outboards for 25 years.
2.4 and 2.5L V-6's

We tried:
Mercury
Amsoil
Redline
Royal Purple

The ONLY oil I now use is Royal Purple.
Both two-cycle and in the gear case.
I also use it in the family fishing boat (4.3L + Alpha drive), and in the F350 tow vehicle.

Expensive? Yes.
Worth it? Absolutely.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
If you have used Mercury Premium plus for ten years and nothing else then I would stick with that.

I used premium plus in my 2000 Optimax. The guy that bought the boat from me runs premium plus. Never a problem with that motor.

Now I use Optimax oil in my 2004 Opti. Expensive yes, but like the other guy mentioned these motors are very performance minded and expensive. The oils are developed specifically for the motors for a reason and lot of hours of testing go into those formulations for a reason.

Quick Kleen is also a good idea for those Mercury's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
" If it ain't broke ....don't fix it "....leave well enough alone and stay with the Merc Premium......will be less expensive than a new motor ! I don't expect you use a ton of it anyway ?

Flats

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
It's a 75 hp merc 10 years old bought it new and never had a problem with it (knock on wood). Always used premium plus. Maybe I should leave well enough alone.
There's a reason its ten years old and never had a problem so I believe you've answered your own question. As mentioned if it aint broke dont fix it. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts