Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember that I am currently trying to find a way to alter the so called wetland on my property. Thanks to a view good suggestion and contacts from you I still hope to make it happen. Thanks!

However, I was thinking about this and can't help but fill like I'm getting screwed by the state.

I mean, I paid the $$$ to own the land and I pay the $$$ for the taxes. Yet, to improve my investment, or to improve the area for most all wildlife, I can't even think about it. Many look at me as a villian for even talking about a modification.

Then there is our beloved state. If the water in Lk St. Helen or Houghton Lk is high, then they will throw another board on the dam and flood out every animal that had made a home there. And if the water level is low, they will remove boards and allow what water is there to flow down to the lakes. For them, mans altering this system is completly fine.

You see, I can't make improvements for the area wildlife because of all the damage a would do to that paticular 40 acres (40 acres of private that touches 1000s of stateland). But if some guy can't get his boat down his canal, then by all means, drain the wetlands (and affect all of it).

Just think that this system is kind of one sided. Maybe the state should help with the taxes.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. Most of my eastern Missaukee county property is wetland(tag alder swamp). I had to deal with the DEQ to put in a driveway. I was 14 months getting a driveway put in because of all of the red tape and DEQ rules. They were afraid I was going to interfere with water flow. Even though there are 4 beaver dams within 3/4 of a mile of my driveway. Therefore there is no water flow.

It isn`t all bad though. No trespassers or poachers, because they don`t want to "wade" to get to the woods. I know my neighbor will never sell to a developer that wants to turn the neighboring `40 into a sub-division.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
David
I figured that when you posted earlier, it seems like they are very sensitive when it comes to maijor improvements on wetlands. Little by little though!! a site can be tweeked especially if we get a few dry months. (not suggesting to go against any rules though!) Maybe in the LONG run your swamp may improve over time, I wish you luck

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did I say I understood what you said. No I didn't, Oh yes I did, Oh maybe I didn't. LOL

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
a saying in the military - '....it's easier to ask for forgivness, that to get permission....'

:) good luck with it....

ferg....

little by little - a tweek here a tweek there - .....:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts