Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While fishing the other day I was catching fish at a pretty good clip but I couldn't seem to get them off and rebait before the school slipped away. So I baited one up with a wax worm and sat it aside. I used a minnow to attract the fish in and after I caught one would grab the other rod and drop it in for a second. But thats all i could get on an average was 2 out of a school. So my question is! Would I be breaking the 2 line rule if I had lets say 4 rods with fish still on the hook laying on the ice and another down the hole? I used to be able to bait'em up fast enough but since an injury which has left my hands without any feeling it takes forever now. Thanks!

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
I does not matter how many lines you have baited up as long as you have no more than two in the water at any one time, even for a second. So, just make sure you don't mess up and accidently have three lines in the water at once.:cool:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Good point. Two in the water. I have watched tournament folks have a half dozen poles laying on the boat. But only one in the water at a time. I wondered about that but boehr just answered it.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
That's a reallly good question (and answer). My father and I have done this for years when ice fishing for perch. We fish with the barbs pinched down on the hooks, so you bounce the fish on the ice and they usually fall off, then you can get the hook back down quickly. Sometimes though, they are greedy and don't want to let go, so there I am, beating the living crap out of a perch on the ice trying to get him off, when I'm catching them with the other pole. Get two fish like that and you're sunk- the school moves on with nothing to keep them there.

Now envision having another rod or two all ready to go (right depth set already) laying on the ice next to your holes. Stubborn fish, fine - drop the pole, grab the spare, and keep going. It has happened twice that I've had 2 fish laying on the ice hooked and was beating 2 more on the ice, trying to get them to let go, cursing at them all the while. Frustrating, but it's a blast. :)

One thing to watch out for is where you put your lines. I usually put the line for the spares out in front of my hole and when I switch poles, put the line and fish to the side. This keeps them from getting tangled.

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
i always got one spare handy, and the linewinder type, already with the proper amount of line doled out, but hook in the handle with bait or bead attached waiting to get called into action. If i get one on a minnow or whatever i have down there, i can pull it out, and drop my backup down in no time flat. Gotta take advantage of the schools when they are under ya, cuz sometimes they just aren't gonna stop for anything, more of a hit and run.

steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts