Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling super lucky lately! I made it out again (snuck out again) this morning for my usual 8-11am run after work. I had lines in the water by 8:30 and was packing up with my limit by 10:30am. The fish were hitting so good that I took a break after the first three 'eyes to try the wyandotte worms I've been hearing/seeing about from D&L. However, after a 30 min run with no takers, I switched back to ol' reliable! Sorry D&L. I'll still try it again next time....and stick with it longer 'til I figure it out. Maybe there are some little things that I'm missing in my presentation? Does the orientation of the tail spade make a difference? Do you use any scent? Today's magic for me was Gold blade with purple beads took 4, and firetiger took the last 2, still in 16FOW, 5/8oz inlines, with the current @ 1.8mph.
0811fish.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Nice job I'm heading out there in a few minutes hope to have as good of a report later on. Going to start out by the #25 & #27 cans first thing then make location adjustments from there if need be. I'll have my handheld radio with me on channel 68, if anyone else from the boards will be out there feel free to say hey !!! I'll be in my buddy's boat a green & white Lowe with a 90hp Johnson.......... Scott

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I'm feeling super lucky lately! I made it out again (snuck out again) this morning for my usual 8-11am run after work. I had lines in the water by 8:30 and was packing up with my limit by 10:30am. The fish were hitting so good that I took a break after the first three 'eyes to try the wyandotte worms I've been hearing/seeing about from D&L. However, after a 30 min run with no takers, I switched back to ol' reliable! Sorry D&L. I'll still try it again next time....and stick with it longer 'til I figure it out. Maybe there are some little things that I'm missing in my presentation? Does the orientation of the tail spade make a difference? Do you use any scent? Today's magic for me was Gold blade with purple beads took 4, and firetiger took the last 2, still in 16FOW, 5/8oz inlines, with the current @ 1.8mph.
View attachment 20137
Hey Fin, AWESOME Job on the FEEEESSSHH ! Nice fast action, too! Aint that just a RIOT ?
Well, as for the Wyandotte Worms, sorry you could not get them going.
Well, I am very particular about how they are strung. The worm HAS to run straight in the water with NO tail wobbling or flopping back and forth.
The worm should have a slow, straight rotation behind the blade.

And yes, the first hook (top hook nearest the blade) IS oriented to the "spade" . The hook comes out the same side as the flat of tail.
Here is a picture (sorry for the overposting of this pic to those who have seen it a bazillion times now :chillin: )

Dont worry too much about WHERE the second hook goes, just get it to pinch a little bit of the rubber wherever it can go without having its leader line bend the worm out of shape.
ALSO, try threading a little 1/8- 1/16 band of real worm on the shank of the top hook before threading on the rubber.

Hope this helps.

Meanwhile, had a skeptical buddy go out with a group of guys a few days ago. They ran 1 rod with rubber WW, the rest with real. The rubber took 10 eyes, the real ones nada as they were just constantly being torn apart by perch. They have now come to the "dark side" ;)

Meanwhile, hope to run into you out on the lake one of these days !!!
Laura

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice haul!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Good fun Fin-isher. I was wondering how much line you let out with the 5/8 oz in-lines.

And yes, the first hook (top hook nearest the blade) IS oriented to the "spade" . The hook comes out the same side as the flat of tail.
I am a little confused by this. Is the bend of the first hook perpendicular to flat on the "spade" or is parallel? In other words, if you held the shank of the first hook horizontal with the bend of the hook up, would the flat "spade" be horizontal or vertical?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I am a little confused by this. Is the bend of the first hook perpendicular to flat on the "spade" or is parallel? In other words, if you held the shank of the first hook horizontal with the bend of the hook up, would the flat "spade" be horizontal or vertical?
It would be horizontal.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Thanks, that makes sense to me. It is hard to tell from the picture, but it does look like it is twisted to be flat on the deck like that.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
any hint's?:)
don't think location matters right now, that whole river is loaded with fish on the bank of both sides, easy pickins. been taking noobs and kids out drifting harnesses for the last 2 months, and only once have we not limited and that was becuase we got blown off the river 2 fish shy of our limit. gps 1.8 - 2.2 seems best.

·
Registered
245 Posts
After the trip this weekend, I wasnt sure there were any walleye in the lake at all. We fished about 12 hours on Saturday trolling and caught a rock bass and a northern. I am not used to trolling in current so we went out to between 25 and 27 and still no luck. for the river do you pop the motor in and out of gear to go that slow? Then out in the bay near the main channel using the techniques I use on the Saginaw Bay we couldnt connect with anything even with out any current. We didnt even mark any promising fish anywhere either. I am not meaning to rant but we worked hard all day and have nothing, it kinda takes the fun out of fishing. Any help/tips would be awesome, and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
After the trip this weekend, I wasnt sure there were any walleye in the lake at all. We fished about 12 hours on Saturday trolling and caught a rock bass and a northern. I am not used to trolling in current so we went out to between 25 and 27 and still no luck. for the river do you pop the motor in and out of gear to go that slow? Then out in the bay near the main channel using the techniques I use on the Saginaw Bay we couldnt connect with anything even with out any current. We didnt even mark any promising fish anywhere either. I am not meaning to rant but we worked hard all day and have nothing, it kinda takes the fun out of fishing. Any help/tips would be awesome, and thank you in advance.

I'm no expert on LSC by any means but mid-summer fishing on LSC especially for eye's can be tough at times. I've been fishing it a few times a year in mid-summer the last five years or so and it still humbles me. Yes people are still catching fish but most seem to know the lake very well. Weather patterns, temperatures can play a big part on the bite. Now spring and fall is usually different I have a sweet spring spot I always hook into fish and the fall bite can be equally as good. I was just out there sunday around the #25 & #27 cans as well and we were marking fish but just couldn't get them to bite for some reason, but it won't stop me from going back out there. From reading a few posts it sounded like any kind of bite was real early and shut down by the time we got there which was just after 9am. Wasn't much chatter on the radio either two guys talking to each other each had one and I heard one other boat that had six but not sure where they were fishing. The dumping grounds seemed to be the place to be but we didn't want to make that long run. We just happened to pick the wrong spot that day.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry it took awhile to get back to this post. I was on the road to Ohio to take care of my Mother-in-law. It looks like there was a lot of interest in this post, so I'll follow up with a few comments to help out...but I'm sure you've all moved on and caught your fish over the weekend by now ;)
To Kevinfitman; I prefer to fish the MC (middle Channel), and I pretty well listed the magic combo for the day. If there is one hint I'd add it would be to hold onto one rod if the wave action is light. After I've already set my reel to the right depth, I usually do a quick lift of about 2', and then slowly drop the tip until I feel the weight touch bottom again, then lift it a few inches & repeat. A lot of bites come on the fall. When there are good waves, I don't worry about it because the rod tip moves enough, and I have to concentrate on the boat control in the wind! Depth & speed are the keys.
Bob D; I let out a total of 29' of line in that depth. Of course I hit bottom well before that when I initially let the line out, but I let it troll for a few seconds then let out more, then feel it hit bottom and set it. That is usually 29' @ 16fow @ 1.8mph for 5/8oz. I do three bottom feels before I set the reel. Adjust for different depths and weights.
D and L; Thanks a lot for the follow up and pics again on your killer harness. I'll set one up just like you said/showed on my next trip out. Hopefully that will be wednesday morning.
Now I'm going to read all of your good reports in the forum, that I've missed this weekend! Good luck

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
good job on the eyes,that cat looks like he has something on his mind:idea::lol:

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ha, I couldn't figure out what you were talking about....until I looked at the pic again! Yea, he's my buddy. He can't wait until I get back from fishing. There's always some trimmings for him, he's getting spoiled too! Funny thing is that he won't even hang around for perch, but loves walleye.

·
Banned
1,707 Posts
Wanna trade? You can take this guy, and I'll take your fish lover. My cat's turn their nose up at every fish. Perch, rockies, gills, salmon, walleye, doesn't matter. Cooked or raw.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the pic, but can't swap my buddy...we have alot of history together over the past 13 years. He evn gets on my boat while it's tied up in the well. He changes his mind about a ride tho, when the engine starts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts