Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We put on our annual after Christmas deer drive yesterday and had some luck.
I was all time driver because I already have my meat for the year and boy was it fun watching these guys blazing.

After pushing 3 spots and running approx. 65 deer by these guys this was the outcome.

Goosebustr = 1 shot 175 lb. doe
Little Brother = 1 shot 150 lb. doe
Buddy Levi = 8 shots no hits
Wish to Fish = 1 shot no hits
Bartley = 0 shots stayed in bed

We did see 4 different bucks so our efforts of managing our working at least there will be 4 a year older next year. Still to many does around.

Pics to follow

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
"Buddy Levi = 8 shots no hits"

Sounds like Levi needs to put in a little more range time next year. :lol:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Lil Tanker - Congrats on the scores. Did you actually weigh those deer or are you just gussing the weight? 150 Doe is more rare that a P&Y buck and a 175er is Booner status!! To get both on the same day is a Milo Hanson like accomplshment so if you relly did weigh them I hope you at least took some photos.

Bob Urban - East Lansing, MI

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
I've hunted for 14 years, and I've only witnessed three BUCKS that tipped 180lbs, (181, 183 and 187), all were 4 year old bucks shot on Drummond Island. That being said, I've never seen a doe that broke the 130lb mark. Not calling you a liar, but I just think most people overestimate a deers weight. Your avg. michigan buck will weight about 120-135 lbs.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
chuckinduck said:
I've hunted for 14 years, and I've only witnessed three BUCKS that tipped 180lbs, (181, 183 and 187), all were 4 year old bucks shot on Drummond Island. That being said, I've never seen a doe that broke the 130lb mark. Not calling you a liar, but I just think most people overestimate a deers weight. Your avg. michigan buck will weight about 120-135 lbs.
A lot depends on where you are in the State. I hunt the NLP and the average 2.5+ doe in our area is 110-115. Last year I shot a doe that the DNR agred at 6.5 and she was 122. I would guess, though, that in the SLP farm country that average would increase by 15-20 lbs. I agree that most hunters over estimate weight by 20-30 lbs on both bucks and does. I know I always used to until I got a scale and started weighing every deer that I harvest. A 175 lb. doe would be a true monster!

·
Registered
143 Posts
The 8 Point I took this year was 182 lbs dressed out. (real weight) . 2nd biggest buck I ever took. I thought my neighbor and I were going to have a stroke dragging him out. I need to figure out how to shoot them closer to the road or try to ride them out before shooting them......:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Buddy took 8 shots and got no hits??? Oh my!!

Sounds like he needs more than range time next year!!!!!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
my buck this year got weighed in at a store 195# and 2 does we took weighed in at 160 and 155 so they get huge in southern mich

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will find out today the actual weights for all you skeptics that like to pick apart posts. I am a fisherman and a man so there could be a good chance I am overestimating when it comes to the size of things.

In my own defense this was the biggest doe I have seen and we grow some hogs over here in the thumb. Both of these deer were shot in or near standing corn so these things can eat corn 10 months of the year and they get huge.
I gutted her myself and there was easily 6 inches of fat running along her tenderloins.

My first comment when walking up on her was , " That thing is half holstine." :lol:

You should see our 25 lb. turkeys and our 30 local geese. ;)

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
..reminds me of the good ol' boy who used to regularly catch 12-16 pound bass. Then he weighed his newborn baby on his fish scale ane it registered 21 pounds! John-Ypsi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts