Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running an '04 150 hp Yamaha carburated V-Max outboard. It's out of warranty. The dealer says I have to use Yamalube oil in it. Yamalube is a synthetic blend that conforms to TC-W3 standards. My question is, can I safely use another brand of premium synthetic blend oil in it? I think every oil I've looked at conforms to the TC-W3 standards. Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why take the chance on switching, it's works fine for the years you owned the boat. I have always run the mfg. band of oil in my 2 cycle motor and haven't ruined a motor yet.

·
Super Moderator
21,126 Posts
I agree

While most oils have the same rating, the Yamaha runs on 100-1 compared to others at twice that.

Yeah, it ain't cheap... :dizzy:

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
I'm running an '04 150 hp Yamaha carburated V-Max outboard. It's out of warranty. The dealer says I have to use Yamalube oil in it. Yamalube is a synthetic blend that conforms to TC-W3 standards. My question is, can I safely use another brand of premium synthetic blend oil in it? I think every oil I've looked at conforms to the TC-W3 standards. Thanks!
I have been running Wal-Mart oil in my outboards for many many years. I guess the notion that a super oil is necessary to pamper certain outboard motors. As long as the oil meets TCW-3 standards you can use any brand of oil. I have a 200 H.P. Johnson a 75 H.P. Mariner a 25 H.P. Mercury a 10 H.P. Johnson a 7 1/2 H.P. Mercury all of which I use Wal-Mart Oil. But.....I add the recommended amt of "Marvel Mystery Oil also to my pre-mix as well. The Marvel keeps the gas sweet and is an added protection during stress trolling hard running and over the winter months. This be my MO. and I am ,so far ,most pleased with the results with no problems. I do one heck of a lot of fishing with long runs to fishing spots. :):):cool::fish:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yep you can run anyTWC-3 oil you want but you must purge out all the Yahmalube before adding another synthtic oil. Some oils when mixed will gel. I would stick with the Yahamalube myself it is very good oil.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The money you save can be spent on the 1st repair. how much oil are you useing in a year not worth the saving to look for a cheaper oil . k8vol steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts