Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hit a local area pond with wild bill bright and early this morning on the ice by 7:20 or so done by 9:00. we fished 12 FOW off a sharp dropoff fish were stacked and had the feedbag on. one hole i dropped my vex. down confused me as it only marked 5 FOW then dropped a bait to see the bottom 7 foot or so was gills stacked pulled 4-5 keepers in about 2 mins. but as soon as 9:00 hit they shutoff. lure choiced didnt seem to matter but my biggest of the day about 8 1/2" came on a genz bug size 10. we managed 35 gills for the morning it was a blast!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
PM me if you want to exchange some pond info...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hey Ozzy, were you fishing the infamous "Lake X"? Glad to see you guys caught some fish. Keep up the good work.

Big K.

·
Registered
761 Posts
When your fishing a steep break with the vex. (especially the 8 because of the wider cone) a dead spot appears. This is an area that should be covered by the angle of the sonar but is not due to the steep drop off. It could be that your sonar was reading the shallower part and returning the signal without reading the deeper water. There is no graph that can beat these units for ice fishing but this is the circumstance where one can be useful.
Maybe, maybe not

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thought about that but i was out off the dropoff quite a bit so this was def. fish they all moved up when i dropped my bait, then i could see the "bottom". it was awesome watching 4-5 gills moving up and down with my bait. oh big K this wasnt lake "X" but another little honey hole close by

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
we where gonna fish lake x but i talked chad into hitting one of my small private lakes at the last minute and it paid off. the fish where hitting my bare hook at times and feeding like crazy. for every one we kept i bet we threw one back. great morning on the ice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts