Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. We fished the river south of the Z bridge in 15 - 22 FOW. Tossed everything at em but my tackle box. Started at 0830 next to empty shanties. Between 2 of us, we only managed 3 shorties by 3pm (needed minnows I guess ). Others started showing up around 2pm. I'm guessing the afternoon bite must be better. 1 on a jig with Gulp min and the other 2 on a grn/slv swedish pimple. Oh well, We will be back.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
You guys were using minnow-less lures?

·
Registered
653 Posts
yes the minnows are the ticket. Not saying you cant catch a walleye of a minnowless lure but you will catch ALOT more with them

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We only had Berkley Gulp minnows with us. Next time will be with real minnows. The title did say 1st timer.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Just about everyone ive heard that has used those dont have to much luck. Ive had decent luck with the night crawlers from gulp in the summer time when trolling harnesses however have not tried any of their products through the ice. Good luck to you in the future

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
:idea:

·
Registered
25,361 Posts
Have had real good luck whith gulp on the tibb in the spring.Of corse that is a different season. thanks for the report.:Welcome:---eyepod ---out

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
use half a minnow on the trebble of a jigging rap and you will have a LOT more hits and catch a lot more fish too. Only ever had luck with the gulp in the summer on a drop shot rig, its deadly for walleyes and smallmouth

·
Registered
386 Posts
Welcome, this site quickens the learning curve for sure.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We only had Berkley Gulp minnows with us. Next time will be with real minnows. The title did say 1st timer.
The party store to the west of the launch in Zilwauke has minnows, I was out there last night and caught the usual 25-30 eyes, biggest being 14 1/2", good luck with your future trips

1 - 14 of 14 Posts