Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Never fished sag bay.
I'm planning a trip to sag bay to bring my wife out ice fishing for the first time. I know I will need some help if its going to be a success. Is it a must to have a qaud or snowmachine? Do you have to go way out? I plan on getting on the bay at Linwood. This will be 3hr trip one way. I want to make her happy. Any help would be greatly appretiated. :help::confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well it it would be nice to have smoething to get you out because walking SUCKS if you plan on first ice you will need to do alot of moving if you are out all day just keep at it and if you are not catching any fish after 45 min to in hour in one spot than move a half mile or so and you will find them that is what i do and in the winter i fish everyday hope this helps. And becareful up there at first ice or even when we have good ice lots of cracks. Good luck

·
Banned
264 Posts
Yes, you need a quad or a sled. You need to wait until the ice is safe before 2 newbies start whipping around out there. When you do follow the roads and stay near others. Things can get hairy out there , it isnt like showing up to the local pond

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being my first time I thought I should stay in close. To get to the eyes I have to get out there over a mile? Maybe I should just stick to my little pond over here on Muskegon lake.:lol:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
You could always fish the Saginaw River. When the fish are in there, its hard to beat the action. Its not always safe though, so get accurate ice conditions and I've always said, never be the first person out there.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
yea, you should maybe start out on the river or hook-up with someone or a group outing. Probably to get into fish it would be a 2 mile hike or so - then drill holes - get your stuff ready - get her stuff ready - watch a crack form - float away - get a coast gaurd helo ride - a long 3 hour ride back home with your ex-wife.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
last year I put a video camera on the front of the quad and recorded the trip out from the parking lot to my fishing spot. There is a good 20-25 minutes of video and by the time it showed checking and crossing the 3rd pressure crack, my wife who was watching had already made up her mind that there was no way she would ever go out on the bay unless its in a boat during the spring/summer. I like the part where all you see is ice for a good 5 minutes or so, then you'll start to see a shanty appear in the distance and before long, you've got an entire village of shanties appearing a couple miles out on the bay. I think I'll be playing that video again soon.:)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good stuff to know guys! I'm glad I asked for help. I may have to leave the wife at home for this trip. Its good to know I will need some wheels to get me out there. That was my main concern.

·
Registered
155 Posts
yea, you should maybe start out on the river or hook-up with someone or a group outing. Probably to get into fish it would be a 2 mile hike or so - then drill holes - get your stuff ready - get her stuff ready - watch a crack form - float away - get a coast gaurd helo ride - a long 3 hour ride back home with your ex-wife.
priceless!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts