Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going out for the first time Saturday with a friend of mine. We don't have Canadian licenses...should we high tail it over the border before then and get 'em, or is there good fishing on the US side too?

Any ideas for the US side to help us newbies out? Different techniques, jigging, trolling, etc.?

How is the beer situation on the CA side? Heard beer in the boat is a no no in CA.

·
Premium Member
2,935 Posts
No alcohol in Ca unless you have a pump out bathroom and I think you also have to be anchored. If you are going early in morning, try between ambassodor bridge and ren cen area U.S. side with spoons(buds got 2 man limit thur morning there). If at night, same area, but use Raps, #5 and #7's. seeya

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So as long as we are not drinking a beer while fishing on the canadian side we are good...we can always motor back across the channel and have a drink?!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Actually I think you can't have it in your boat at all. This was according to the MNR that gave us a slap on the wrist for it last year.:rant: I don't think they are as concerned about it as the OPP.
Mark

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
mfs686 said:
:yeahthat:

I heard Mud Island is producing a few at night but I haven't been out to try it yet. Maybe Saturday night if all goes well.
only took 2 out of mudd island area last night from 11pm to 1am..stay deep out to the east by the candle stick

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
wolverine301 said:
No open alcohol, or no alcohol at all?
Everything I have heard has been "no open alchohol" and that closed containers are OK.

BUT, as far as I am concerned it is no alcohol containers at all when I am crossing the border. Cross over and I am in a foreign country and the last thing I want to do is have to call the US embassy. I figure why give them an excuse to even give a second look.

If I know I am staying on the Michigan side it is a different story. I like a brew every now and then but why tempt fate when crossing into another country?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alex-v said:
Everything I have heard has been "no open alchohol" and that closed containers are OK.

BUT, as far as I am concerned it is no alcohol containers at all when I am crossing the border. Cross over and I am in a foreign country and the last thing I want to do is have to call the US embassy. I figure why give them an excuse to even give a second look.

If I know I am staying on the Michigan side it is a different story. I like a brew every now and then but why tempt fate when crossing into another country?
I guess I never really thought of it that way...sort of like smuggling. Being that I am not driving it is kind of a bummer that I will not be able to enjoy some frosty beverages on a hot day like tomorrow...I guess I will just have to drink 'em all before we cross the line...can't be any law about empties:evil:

·
Registered
1 Posts
You Nancy! Where's the fearless wolverine301 that I remember? Of course it's not a good idea to enter foreign waters without a proper license or to violate their alcohol laws. But have faith that I wouldn't put you in harms way. We won't be doing anything unlawful, I promise. I'm just as concerned as you are. You're gonna be hooked on hand lining if we get into em', I gaurantee that. See you tomorrow!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
txf1160 said:
You Nancy! Where's the fearless wolverine301 that I remember? Of course it's not a good idea to enter foreign waters without a proper license or to violate their alcohol laws. But have faith that I wouldn't put you in harms way. We won't be doing anything unlawful, I promise. I'm just as concerned as you are. You're gonna be hooked on hand lining if we get into em', I gaurantee that. See you tomorrow!
I got caught at the border one time with something undesireable to the Canadians and ended up in my drawers in a small room with no women in it...I hope you can see my concern here...I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN AGAIN!!!:yikes: :lol:

I hope we get into 'em too, but if we don't I want something to ease the pain if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
motcityman said:
only took 2 out of mudd island area last night from 11pm to 1am..stay deep out to the east by the candle stick
Candlestick ??

I tried last night down by Elizabeth Park and the weeds were horrendous. I couldn't get a bait down without picking up weeds. Around 1:00 am I did manage to hook into a big walleye but I lost it at the boat.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
mfs686 said:
Candlestick ??

I tried last night down by Elizabeth Park and the weeds were horrendous. I couldn't get a bait down without picking up weeds. Around 1:00 am I did manage to hook into a big walleye but I lost it at the boat.
It's the border marker by the middle of Fighting Island that i believe he is talking about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
From what I understand, If your going to drink on the american side you have to be anchored. Drinking while under power of any kind or drifting is the same as being caught in a car.

Also be aware that the legislature is trying (going to) lower the BAC for boating and 4wheeling to .08

I believe right now it is still .10

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Instead of increasing the penalties for drinking in a boat, why don't they make it mandatory for anyone who uses a watercraft to take boating classes. I'm tired of people who fly within 20ft of me at 50mph. Oh yeah, AND they spill my beer! (While anchored of course;) )

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
wolverine301 said:
I got caught at the border one time with something undesireable to the Canadians and ended up in my drawers in a small room with no women in it...I hope you can see my concern here...I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN AGAIN!!!:yikes: :lol:

I hope we get into 'em too, but if we don't I want something to ease the pain if you know what I mean.

That happened to Bob probert too...;) :lol: :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts