Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided to give a little scouting trip a try today. It was a little less than stellar. Started off yesterday when I bought 5 dozen great looking lively Emerald Shiners. Brought them home and killed them and then spent the next hour or so playing mortician trying to make them look like I didn't kill them. Lord help me! This morning I got an early start and headed to the Canadian side to do some exploring. Since it was my 1st trip, I started off by the boats off the Belle. Not much happening so I moved out deeper and found some good weedbeds. There were definitely fish there but my salted minnows were a big time handicap. I had a Canadian boat pull up next to me and was probably pulling 10 to my 1 and I’m not that bad of a Perch fisherman! Anyway, even with the dead minnow handicap, I was able to catch my 50 for a limit but there were a few in the cooler that I would normally let go. Here’s a pic of today’s catch: (lots of ice underneath the fish! lol)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Nice job GF!

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Going out to test donalds boat tomorrow, If winds are down maybe we'll make a run for the border!!! Thanks for the inspiration John!! As always....Job Well done!!;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nice report, thanks John. We are heading out this morning, hoping to be in that same area. Noticed the same thing regarding the boats by Belle River two weekends ago. We ended up fishing about 3 miles NE of that group.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Hey John. I see you salted them. Couldn't you just put them on ice? Possibly inside a wet towel with ice over and under?

Nice catch anyhow.

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jr wants to head out tomorrow even with his broken arm. He says he can catch them but he's not sure about baiting hooks and taking fish off. I'm having a reel problem with the minnow situation. After watching guys outfish me with live bait, I really don't want to do this salted minnow thing again. Maybe if I can show them a receipt from a bait trapper that shows the minnows were caught in LSC, common sense would prevail but somehow I doubt it. :(

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Jeeeeeeze,,,you ever go out and not catch fish?????nice lookin catch..... Some of those fish look pretty chunky for fall fish...

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you only knew a hard core Canadian perch fisherman who could meet you on the lake with minnows and a receipt?
I need to work on that!
Mike, I did anchor and did not call in. I had the number with me but to go ashore to call at 1 mile/gallon is something I have to weigh economically and make a decision. Yesterday I guess I got lucky.

·
Super Moderator
27,436 Posts
I need to work on that!
Mike, I did anchor and did not call in. I had the number with me but to go ashore to call at 1 mile/gallon is something I have to weigh economically and make a decision. Yesterday I guess I got lucky.
That my thinking John. Besides, I am unfamilar with where anyplace is on the south shore.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Went out today about 4 miles NE of Belle River hump. Fished with dead minnows, basically emptied the bait shop water for about 15minutes then added tap water and alot of ice before we left the dock to keep them from getting too far decomposed.

We did well early, but had trouble staying on fish once the wind went to zero. Kept about 45, probably threw back that many smaller ones. Also had about 8 SM bass. Those really seam to keep pushing the fish around and keep it from being a consistant bite.

Like others, we decided not to run into shore to call-in but we did take passports.

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The law sure would have their hands full trying to enforce taht rule.

I went by the pack about 10am looked to be about 100 boats out there.
So how was the Muskie action? Looked to be fairly tough conditions to me but what do I know. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts