Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well our first attempt at food plots hasnt quite turned out as we had hoped so far. Limed, fertilized, cultipacked, seeded with a turnips/rape combo, and cultipacked again on 8/8. Got a good rain the following day and again about 12 days later. Really expected better germination than what we got.

These pictures are from 8/29. This is the worst field. The only good germination is at the east end (top right of photo) where it is lower. There is some spotty germination throughout the plot and Im hoping it will look different in two weeks when I go back up. If not, Ill reseed it with wheat/rye.

A better look at the east end. I realized I seeded it way to heavy afterwards but Im kinda glad I did now.

Field #2 looks much better. Looking towards the southwest

Looking towards the east.

I seeded way to heavy, something Ill have to adjust for next year. But I sure had fun putting these plots in :)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Your plots are looking better than my brassicas. I planted a week before you and have even less germination, and what has come up is being nipped by the deer already. We've only had about 1" rain since we planted and it has been spread out between 3-4 light showers, really hoping things will pop once we get some significant rain.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Your plots are looking better than my brassicas. I planted a week before you and have even less germination, and what has come up is being nipped by the deer already. We've only had about 1" rain since we planted and it has been spread out between 3-4 light showers, really hoping things will pop once we get some significant rain.
Same here - need rain badly. Looks like a good chance tomorrow through Sunday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts