Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I should’ve had a new or different boat by now but it’s been a great boat ( after we added the merc four stroke) this year I noticed water in bilge, not huge concern but 2-3 inches caught my attention. Started watching closer and bilge would be bone dry then after night of fishing, heading back in bilge would have 3-4 inches water in it when under power, seems water is coming in then when I get on plane it goes to bilge. I plugged my livewell inlet and outlet hoping it was a hose issue but same problem, I have dark area on side of boat where strake is riveted to boat, other side don’t see it , side that has dark area is behind livewell, I’ll post pictures, figure take livewell deck area off and see if I can see rivers in that area, maybe weak due to main deck not supporting that side of boat as much? thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugged inlet and outlet still had the problem, last time out it was dry, then motored to fishing location maybe 1/2 mile, then anchored for 3-4 hours then when heading back getting on plane that’s when bilge fills up, I’m guessing it’s slowly leaking while I’m fishing then when I take off the water flows into bilge

·
Registered
246 Posts
Plugged inlet and outlet still had the problem, last time out it was dry, then motored to fishing location maybe 1/2 mile, then anchored for 3-4 hours then when heading back getting on plane that’s when bilge fills up, I’m guessing it’s slowly leaking while I’m fishing then when I take off the water flows into bilge
Had a similar issue in one of my Dad's old boats. The old "mystery leak", almost the same story as you. We started filling the boat with water using a garden hose, and one of the "plugged" holes from a previous fish finder mount started gushing like a fountain. If you have an issue like that, the garden hose trick is a good way to locate a point source leak. If you've really got a long seam leaking, it might not be as effective. But, that might indicate to you that you should put some marine sealant around the seams. Good luck getting the leak fixed, that boat looks like a fish catching machine!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3 missing rivets and lots of leakers, not sure if that explains everything but it’s a start, replaced the deck 5 years ago but had no water issues so never even thought about rivets, hopefully not a hard fix

Attachments

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Missing rivets aren’t a good sign.

If you want to find out for real if getting on plane has anything to do with exacerbating the leak, on your next trip out, fish close to the ramp where you can idle to your spot and back. See if that makes a difference in the amount of water.

·
Premium Member
10,613 Posts
I would suspect a bad live well hose

I had a tracker Super Guide V-14 for 10 years and still regret selling that boat. It was cheap, but it out me on an lot of fish.
I've got that boat in 16'6". I really like it, but it does leak a bit after 22 years. Nothing like the OP is seeing though. Probably just rivets loosening up over the years on mine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Missing rivets aren’t a good sign.

If you want to find out for real if getting on plane has anything to do with exacerbating the leak, on your next trip out, fish close to the ramp where you can idle to your spot and back. See if that makes a difference in the amount of water.
I’ll try that, my guess is it will still be the same, when I get on plane on way to fishing spot some water will be present when we get there, but not much ,then after anchoring for 3-4 hours as soon as I get on plane going back in much more water is in bilge, I think I’m done for the year, maybe....but plan on putting new rivets in where missing ones are, what would cause rivets to fail?

·
Premium Member
10,789 Posts
Over that length of time sitting still those small holes will let in a lot of water . If you can find them they use to make a blind head stainless pop rivet. I know some guys who used those and had no problems

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found some aluminum closed end pop rivets , now trying to figure out length to get based on hull thickness and whatever brace or stringer rivet is attaching

·
Registered
976 Posts
Use 5200 around the rivets when you put them in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts