Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if there is an O-ring where the fuel line connects to the motor? I'm talking on the motor, not the fuel line.

I'm trying to rule out a possible air leak and it looks like there is a recess for one. Also, the fuel line connector can be "rocked" even when it's locked in place. An o-ring would prevent this.

·
Registered
968 Posts
There is an O ring, but it is inside of the connector that is attached to the hose. There SHOULD be a little space between where the connector butts up against the motor connection. A little rocking is normal.

(At lease this has been my experience)

What's the issue your motor is having? Are you completely sure that its an air leak?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lwapo - The o-ring you're talking about is on the hose. I need to know if there is one on the motor...

No, I'm not sure it's an air leak but I need to rule it out as a possible source of high speed poor performance. I've replaced the fule line connectors, new fuel tank, fresh fuel at the proper ratio, ruled out the fuel pump...I'm now getting ready to take the carb off and rebuild it. Just wondering about the o-ring.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Get the motor up to speed, spray carb cleaner or something similar in the area of the suspected leak. If it is indeed sucking air, you'll know it.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mitch.

The air leak theory is almost ruled out. I really think it needs the carb rebuilt.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I read someplace that if your using an "ETHANOL" based fuel in outboards it can create runability problems. Since they have done away with the law having to inform the public if the fuel they are selling contains ethanol it's a toss of the coin to know for sure what your really trying to burn. :rolleyes:

To try and help alleviate this problem in my 30 hp Johnson kicker I mix in a couple of additives:

CD2 Lead additive,.. and Octane Booster and Seafoam. I've got a 13 gallon stationary fuel tank in my SeaRay that's dedicated to just the outboard (2 stroke) I just fill the tank up with a regular or mid-grade fuel and add the oil and additives to the proper ratios for the tank. The outboard doesn't miss a lick! ;):D

Just a suggestion,... might help save the costs of a carb rebuild that's not really necessary. Wouldn't hurt to try it,.. just my thoughts. ;)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip 7mm...

I have some octane booster and some Sea Foam that I was going to mix in the next tank of fuel. Heading to Manistee Wednesday so we'll see when we get there.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Thanks for the tip 7mm...

I have some octane booster and some Sea Foam that I was going to mix in the next tank of fuel. Heading to Manistee Wednesday so we'll see when we get there.
Don't forget to add some of the lead additive stuff,.. I think it will help to counter-act the effects of the ethanol in the fuel.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok.

Do I need to change anything in my 50:1 mixture?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Ok.

Do I need to change anything in my 50:1 mixture?

Nope,... just add the specific amount recomended on the lables for the amount of gallons in your tank. Your 2 stroke oil ratio stays the same.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. Man, it sure would be nice if this solved my problem!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hard to describe. Sputtering or coughing is the best I can come up with. Intermittant also. Sometimes it'll run perfect for maybe 200 yds, then start acting up. I've tried squeezing the primer bulb with no improvement, replaced fuel connectors and tank (I wanted a plastic one anyway), new plugs properly gapped.

I'll try the additives this week. If it doesn't improve, then I think I'm looking at a carb rebuild. The high-speed jet, by the way, is preset from the factory.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not sure of anything! LOL...

Just got back from Manistee and tried the octane booster, lead additive and Sea Foam. Ran a tank of gas through it with no noticable change. Dropped the boat off at the marina on the way home. I'll post the results when I pick her up.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I'm not sure of anything! LOL...

Just got back from Manistee and tried the octane booster, lead additive and Sea Foam. Ran a tank of gas through it with no noticable change. Dropped the boat off at the marina on the way home. I'll post the results when I pick her up.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you :(,... was a pretty inexpensive way to see if it would eliminate your problem.
It worked really well in my 1990 / 30hp. Johnson. I've gotten in the habit to do it to every tankful now. ;)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey...thanks for the tip though! I might continue doing it also...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I finally solved the problem of my motor missing at high speeds. It ended up being the power pack. Ordered a new one online for $55, installed it and the boat runs perfectly.

Thanks to all who gave input!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Glad to see you got it figured out. :D

I'd still continue using the fuel additives though,.. ethanol is not good for all
those rubber parts which includes the fuel pump diaphragm. It will dry out the
rubber and makes it crack and perforate.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will do...thanks again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts