Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been working on a project for a while and finally got the motor fired up but it isn't pumping water. I believe I am in need of replacing the impeller on my 1957 Evinrude 35hp electric starting. Before I just dive in I'm wondering if there is anything I should be warned about, difficulties anyone else has ran into, or if it is a relatively simple process? Also, other than the impeller itself do I need to think about any other related operations, i.e. gaskets and things of that nature? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

signed,
old boat project rookie

Attachments

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Get your self a copy of the service manual for this motor. You can find them in local Libraries. You may need to replace the housing and gaskets that hold the rubber impeller? You won't know this until you get it apart. Remember to note where the shift linkage is when disassembling so you can it back together and it's in the right gear.
I have done old Merc's. Sometimes, I have seen where a piece of the old impeller has broken off and lodged itself in the water path somewhere. Try to blow it out with compressed air or a small wire can sometimes be used if you have this type of blockage.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
Ive been working on a project for a while and finally got the motor fired up but it isn't pumping water. I believe I am in need of replacing the impeller on my 1957 Evinrude 35hp electric starting. Before I just dive in I'm wondering if there is anything I should be warned about, difficulties anyone else has ran into, or if it is a relatively simple process? Also, other than the impeller itself do I need to think about any other related operations, i.e. gaskets and things of that nature? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

signed,
old boat project rookie

·
Premium Member
12,367 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get your self a copy of the service manual for this motor. You can find them in local Libraries. You may need to replace the housing and gaskets that hold the rubber impeller? You won't know this until you get it apart. Remember to note where the shift linkage is when disassembling so you can it back together and it's in the right gear.
I have done old Merc's. Sometimes, I have seen where a piece of the old impeller has broken off and lodged itself in the water path somewhere. Try to blow it out with compressed air or a small wire can sometimes be used if you have this type of blockage.

Thank you for the tip! I will check the library

1 - 8 of 8 Posts