Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many on here love their 1911's and what do ya have??
I love mine....it whats I carry. Its like the American Express Card, "Don't leave home w/out it."
I have 5 1911's (so far):
Kimber Classic Custom Series I
Kimber Pro CDP Series II
Kimber Tactical Full Size Series II (she's my baby)
Rock Island Armory Full Size
Norinco Full Size stainless

I also have a drop in barrel in .400 CorBon, which I plan on using during next deer season w/180gr bullets. Gonna pick up a Ciener .22lr conversion next week.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Kimber Target Eclipse 2

Para 16.40 w/Dawson mods(not really a 1911)

Lookin at the .460 Rowland for next deer season. Took a doe at 30 yards with the .45, never will I do that again.. WAY underpowered for a quick kill.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
I am a new convert to 1911's in the last couple of years. Having always been a wheel gun guy it was a big step, but I have to say I love 'em. It took me almost as long to buy anything semi-auto or w/ a synthetic stock in long guns. In my collection I have two, a Kimber Compact Stainless in .40 and a Kimber Pro Eclipse Target in .45.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Just one for me (So far:rolleyes: ). Its a Kimber Classic Custom Target II In the black matt finish.

Seems the Kimbers are quite popular aound here.:D

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have a Kimber Custom SS .45 with rosewood grips.

I like mine and it shoots great, but it is not very practical. I would sell it if I could get my money back.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
BackStrap, It your Kimber a Series II? If not you could probably get pretty close to what you paid for it. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I carry an Kimber Ultra Eclipse and my wife has a Kimber Pro-carry.
We like them so much we named our third daughter Kimber.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have a number of 1911 guns but this is my favorite, at least for now. It's the best out of the box 1911 I ever bought as far as fit and function. Kimber series one Compact Custom.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Originally posted by Rupestris
BackStrap, It your Kimber a Series II? If not you could probably get pretty close to what you paid for it. :)
It is a series one. Why would that make any difference?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
BackStrap,

Since the Introduction of Kimbers Series II guns with the firing pin safety in Early 2002 Kimber fans have blamed the change in design for reliability issues. Usually in the 3" Ultra models but that hasn't stopped people from swearing off all Kimber series II models regardless of size/model. There is also a growing number of people that feel Kimbers fit & finish/quality is slipping due to high production numbers and increasing models.

Both of these factors have driven up the demand for Pre Series II (or "series I") 1911 models. It's not a large increase for used guns but the NIB pre II's are selling fast and I'm sure will dry up soon. Check sites like Gunbroker.com or contact some shops/Kimber dealers in your area to get a ballpark value of your Pre-II.

If you go to http://www.1911forum.com/forums/ and go down to the "Kimber" forum you'll find a ton of threads arguing the evils of the series II guns. Most threads there, whether Series II related or not, deteriorate to a "That would have never happened with my Series I" argument. Its probably why I don't spend much time there anymore.:rolleyes: There are those that take every opportunity to bash the S-II's regardless of experience with the particular gun in question. Like cars, there are lemons out there. There are also exceptions to the rule. (that would be the Series II that I have:p its beautiful in the fit/finish department and its been 100% dependable.)

Hope that helps,
Rupe

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I have a Kimber Pro carry and a Kimber GSP thats my new puppy i named her after my gun :D I didnt realize there was another hand gun on the market besides a 1911 !!!!!!!!;)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well let me see,
2 wilson cqb's
1 kimber custom tactical II
2 gunsite pistols(both made at gunsite one is an officers)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by house
I carry an Kimber Ultra Eclipse and my wife has a Kimber Pro-carry.
We like them so much we named our third daughter Kimber.
Hi House,

Wow, talk about dedication to family et all!
I think Kimber is a great name for your daughter - good job.

I shot my first 1911 in 1959 at Fort Benning Ga in AIT. Could not hit the broard side of a barn with it but got much better with it in 1966 while in Nam - put those bad boys (so they thought) down right now!
For some dumb reason for which I can't explain, I prefer a double action 6/7" bbl in either .357 or 44 mag. Must be the Clint E image that I have, boy am I dreaming or what.

At any rate, have a nice day and keep shooting those 1911's straight and get em with the first round.

Bob_____

1 - 16 of 16 Posts