Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I bought a new Kimber Ultra CDP II for carry, and I've been bit by the 1911 bug. This was my first 1911 and I am already saving for my purchase of a full-size 1911. I have a Ruger GP 100 that I shot once in a while but this new gun I want to keep shootin. I've been heading out a couple times a week to shoot at lunch, and its not enough. We thought I'd share since the wife isnt too interested:lol: . Anyone else ever get 1911 fever or a gun you couldnt wait to shoot?

I think my bow is starting to get jealous.

·
Registered
313 Posts
First let me say my post is in no way a slam nor do I want to bash the 1911. I think they are awesome looking guns and you have to respect the fact that the same basic design has been around for a very long time. With that said, I use to have a Kimber Ultra II as well. However I sold it a couple of years ago. For a carry weapon it was far to prone to failure. The Ultra or any of the 3 1/2" barrle 1911's are known for being picky about the ammo run through them. In a must use senario I was uncomfortable relying on them. Personal I have several different glocks I use for carry. Ugly as hell but they go bang every and I mean everytime I pulled the trigger.

When I get some extra $$$ I'd like to get a full sized 1911 for bowling pin matches and such. They are beautiful desgins of engineering.

Enjoy and stay safe!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Not taken as a slam variety makes the world go round! I've heard the same concern with 1911 as a carry piece. I've had no problems (FTF, FTE stovepipe, etc..) yet. If I did have problems I agree I would be looking for a new carry weapon. I've been surpised at the accuracy. I've been shooting better with the 3in barrell, than my Ruger GP 100 .357 revolver with a longer barrel. Glocks are very nice guns, and have some features I wished the 1911 had.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Yep, I love the 1911's...no other auto has that feel imo! I currently have a S&W 1911P in commander size (4") with scandium frame and Crimson Trace laser grips. It's a fantastic shooter and the trigger is light years ahead of most doa only triggers. I know some purists that don't like the S&W because it has an external extractor but I don't really care. I'll go so far to say that right now, the S&W 1911's are arguably the best out there in anything under $1200. I likethe Kimbers and the Springfields as well, those were the other two brands that I considered.

If reliability becomes and issue, and it most likely won't, and you still want a 1911 for carry, the scandium commander size is a good compromise. Mine weights 29oz unloaded and is easy to conceal. And lights out accurate!

Enjoy the gun! Let the 1911 addiction begin! I want another as well!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I've had a Ruger P90 and a P89 for about 16 years and every once in a while I would shoot them. Couple times a year was about it, I was more into rifles and shotguns, that is up until about the past year.

This last year I got the old rugers out and smoothed them up alot, never had any problem with them, but they just seem to run better now after I cleaned them up(deburred). Maybe it's all in my head but they do seem to. Shooting them more got me in the pistol "mood' I guess and I went out and bought an XD. The XD is now the gun I can't seem to shoot enough, I love it. Night and day difference between my Rugers and the XD, for me anyway.

This has caused my to get the bug, now I have several pistols I want to try and a long list of ones I want to buy. A 1911 is definitely one of them.:)

Here's a partial want list.

Smith and Wesson M&P45
Smith and Wesson Airweight .357
Springfield Arnmory Mil-spec 1911
Taurus 4410
Bond arms derringer
Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag for hunting
Springfield EMP
Ruger Mark III .22
Sig P220 or P226 or maybe both
Stoeger Couger

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well, lets see. I purchased a Norinco 1911 mil-spec just under a year ago. Since then I have over 1000 rounds with not one failure. I've smithed on a Chip McCormick extreme beavertail grip safety and melted it to the frame. Installed with some modification to the slide, a Wilson Combat Match grade barrel bushing. Installed Wilson Combat springs, hammer, trigger, tactical thumb safety and extended slide stop. It currently has a flat MSH in stainless. It has custom made double diamond grips with stainless hex grip screws. Oh, and 3-dot combat sights.

Also, 4 GI mags with J&J pads for fun shooting. For carry, 2 Chip McCormick Power-mags.

Yeah, I think I've got the 1911 bug....

sean

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Bought a Kimber Gold Match 1911 with a 5" barrel about 2 years ago. LOVE that gun. I have been shooting on a handgun league with it and love it. NEVER jams no matter what ammo i run through it. I have run probably a 2000 or more rounds of wolf, remington, winchester, etc etc and never had a jam. I have had no fires, but thats ammo, not gun.

I would buy another in a heart beat. The nice thing about Kimbers is that they come from the factory with all the upgrades. No need for buying parts and having to have all the trick stuff installed.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Rusher said:
Oh you guys!, all I have is a Sig., its okay:)

As long as its a Sig Revolution you can stay.....;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts