Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever used a 18 v drill on an auger? Ive heard of guys using them but wondered how many holes you could drill.

·
Registered
107 Posts
depending on the size auger you have attached and quality of the drill you are you using, I first stated using one I bought from Harbor Freight and that lasted on about a week, so I started using my 18v Dewalt w/ 1/2in chuck, with a fully charged battery I can drill about 20 hole with a 4in auger, pull your battery out of your drill and keep it out of the cold when not using it, and make sure you take the attachment out of the drill when you done or else the chuck jaws will rust, so now I have a drill I can only use for ice fishing:rolleyes:

·
Registered
896 Posts
I was wondering where you could get the attachment for the auger, I've looked around a bit but have yet to see them.....and those 20 holes, about how many inches of ice is that?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I was wondering where you could get the attachment for the auger, I've looked around a bit but have yet to see them.....and those 20 holes, about how many inches of ice is that?
try ebay or cabelas. i fish with a buddy who has a 6inch lazer and drills threw 18+ inches like butter.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i use a 19 volt sears drill and 2 bats have never had to put in the secant one in we have drilled at least 30 4in holes a day you can make an adapter for most augers a lot cheper than buying one

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
i have a black / decker 18 volt hammer frill. 740 inch pounds torque.
torque is important in a ice drill . i just put 17 holes in 4 inches of ice with a not full battery. i recently made my own adapter out of a hex key socket that fits on a 3/8 rachet. cost $0.about a half hour time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you think a 6 inch auger would be too much for the drill. I will make my own adapter for the drill it shouldnt be to hard. Also if anyone is hard up for an ice shanty cabelas has the ameristep chair blind on sale for 39.99

·
Registered
74 Posts
My brother and I made an adapter last year for our 6" lazer. I have a sears 19 volt and with one battery we drilled over 20 holes and there was at least 8" of ice. We tried it with one of the blue augers and I think 6" is too big for the drill I was using.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Three years ago when I had my shoulder surjury I used a 6inch lazer on a 18 volt dewalt on first ice could drill 15-20 wholes per battery just don't try too drill them all in arow and keep the battery warm. Late ice only would get a couple of holes before the battery would die. Good luck

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If your gonna make your own attachment be sure you find a second way to keep it attached to the drill, those chucks get loose, and the ones you buy come with a rubber strap that goes around the drill.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
One suggestion if you plan to buy or build an adapter for your drill. You might want to make a plate that is bigger than the hole you drill that is a permanent part of the adapter. That way, if the adapter slips out of the drill chuck, you won't lose your auger and adapter down the hole.

John

·
Registered
561 Posts
I bought one at gander mountain for $20, and one at cabelas for the same, advantage to cabelas, it has a bearing on it with a strap that goes around the drill, so if the chuck gets loose you don't have to dive in the whole after your auger. I also use an 18v lithium milwaukee drill, the advantage of lithium is that they are not effected by the cold weather at all, and last year i put about 35 holes through 12" of ice with a 5" laser on one charged battery(sharp blades are a must) we also drilled some 8" holes for tip ups, but you really have to take it easy with those.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks JNPCOOK thats something I never would have thought of. Man would i be one pissed off guy standing there with just a drill in my hand. HA

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I bought one at gander mountain for $20, and one at cabelas for the same, advantage to cabelas, it has a bearing on it with a strap that goes around the drill, so if the chuck gets loose you don't have to dive in the whole after your auger. I also use an 18v lithium milwaukee drill, the advantage of lithium is that they are not effected by the cold weather at all, and last year i put about 35 holes through 12" of ice with a 5" laser on one charged battery(sharp blades are a must) we also drilled some 8" holes for tip ups, but you really have to take it easy with those.

I just started using milwaukee lithium drill for work and I know drilling through wood is harder on the drill then ice but I can only get one or two 2 9/16 self feeders drilled before the battery dies when it is cold like this past few days.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
One suggestion if you plan to buy or build an adapter for your drill. You might want to make a plate that is bigger than the hole you drill that is a permanent part of the adapter. That way, if the adapter slips out of the drill chuck, you won't lose your auger and adapter down the hole.

John
if you are using a lazer or mora and the wing nut for attaching the adapter to your drill just get a lid off a bucket like from potato salad that is bigger than your hole.drill a 1" hole in it and slide it over your auger below the nut. If the drill comes loose that will stop the auger from falling through the hole.just be sure to find one from flexible plastic that won't crack in the cold or mom just might be missing one of her round tupperware lids too.they are even lifetime guaranteed. "gee lady, I don't know how it cracked" problem solved for free

1 - 16 of 16 Posts