Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 17 is shooting the CCI TNT Hollow point 17 grain better than most of the Vmax bullets. Does anyone know the difference ballisticly between the two. I have a chart for the Vmax in 17 and 20 grain. I also saw comparisons between the 2 for damage inflicted. I want to use the hollow point for coyotes. They penetrate deeper.

G

·
They penetrate deeper.
A more relative phrase was never uttered.

Given the relatively limited range of application, I would anticipate that any perceived ballistic advantage of one slug over the next to be purely theoretical.

You're gonna lose a few, whether that three grain delrin tip is there or not.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have shot all of the 17 grn ammo extensively. Out to 200 yds, I could not see any difference in trajectory. If you are going to use this round on yotes, you must limit you're range to 100 yds, 50 yds is better. That tiny bullet just does not have the energy to consistently anchor a yote. I have dropped yotes at 100 yds with the .17 with head shots. 1 in the ear and 1 in the left eye, Any where else and you better be ready for fast follow up shots. I have not tried the 20 grn bullets. Plan to soon.

G

·
That tiny bullet just does not have the energy to consistently anchor a yote.
Sounds like experience talking...

The moral of this story is that when you balance the ballistic capability of available cartridges, the laws of the state of Michigan, and the terrain commonly encountered here, the obvious choice for coyotes is a .22 WMR. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Until the price of any of the .17 rimfire ammo goes down, I'll stick with the 22WMR. And considering how cheaply .223 ammo can be reloaded, if I need more than the little rimfire, I can shoot that for penny's as well.

The .17's definitely have a place, they look like a lot of fun. I love the rimfire customs that folks are building, thats for sure.

G

·
The HP looks pretty devastating.
And yet, not one dead coyote on the page.

A few ground squirrels, home made metal targets, and cacti...but no dogs.

(sidenote - who in their right mind shoots at steel and lead targets from that close?!?!)

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alpha Male said:
And yet, not one dead coyote on the page.

A few ground squirrels, home made metal targets, and cacti...but no dogs.

(sidenote - who in their right mind shoots at steel and lead targets from that close?!?!)
I'll get back to ya after planting some gutpiles. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts