Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have a rifle in this caliber, what are your thoughts on it, likes/dislikes? I am mainly looking at this round for woodchucks around 150-175 yards, is this the round for them? How much does a cross wind come into play with this round?

The other choice would be a centerfire such as a .223 as this can be found with a better selection of bullet weights/styles on the shelf and can be reloaded to suit the rifle and prey.

I realize that comparing a rimfire to a centerfire isn't quite the same but your thoughts on this is appreciated.

Buster boy

· Registered
766 Posts
Busterboy,

I have a Savage .17HMR. I love this gun! It is perfect for groundhogs, and is a very flat shooting gun. Easily can shoot accurately @ 200 yards (most I've ever tried) This is a fun gun to shoot as well, holds tight groups.

I use this gun for target shooting, groundhogs, long range squirrel, and coyote hunting in some cases.

Never reloaded the cartridges, I don't shoot enough to justify that. As far as wind goes, I've never had a problem with it.

For the price of the gun, you can't go wrong!

· Registered
87 Posts
I would suggest the .223 Remington, It is a much more powerful and versatile weapon. I wouldn't suggest shooting a groundhog with a 17HMR past 75 or 100 yards, from personal experience I now that a 22LR won't kill one past 75 and it has a much heavier bullet than a 17HMR.

· Registered
5,844 Posts
I also have the savage and love it! Its a great shooter and packs a good punch. Have yet to shoot a yote with it but I hope to someday. I did kill a feral hog with it a few years back with a headshot. Remember if you want to night hunt for yotes you have to use a rimfire rifle after dark so its .22 magnum or the 17.

Ganzer

· Registered
2,870 Posts
I would suggest the .223 Remington, It is a much more powerful and versatile weapon. I wouldn't suggest shooting a groundhog with a 17HMR past 75 or 100 yards, from personal experience I now that a 22LR won't kill one past 75 and it has a much heavier bullet than a 17HMR.
The .17HMR can not really be compared to the .22lr......two different critters. Despite the .17HMR small size the energy the round packs is much more devistating than the .22lr.

However the .17HMR is really affected by wind. The 17 or 20g bullets are pulled real easy...and off target hard. .22lr bullets are roughly twice the weight and hold in wind better.

0-50 yards use a .22lr
0-150 yards use a .17hmr

Now.......though a .17hmr will go out farther i would not hunt with it much farther than 100m.

As for accuracy....17Hmr are tac drivers and 50 bullets cost $12 bucks!

But if you have a 22-.250 or 204 or .223 it will kill em better at all ranges; but cost more to shoot....a lot more.

· Registered
2,870 Posts
If you are gonna coyote hunt you need to shoot them in the head! Body shots they will run and run and run......and then run more and then die.

I have a heavy barrel savage; it only likes to eat the 20g bullets.

· Registered
3,948 Posts
For those of you that have a rifle in this caliber, what are your thoughts on it, likes/dislikes? I am mainly looking at this round for woodchucks around 150-175 yards, is this the round for them? How much does a cross wind come into play with this round?

The other choice would be a centerfire such as a .223
Buster boy
I have a .17HMR and as stated in one of thw above posts, it is easily effected by wind.. For woodchucks at 200 yards or less, you would find more recommendations for the newer .204 cal than a .223 on the varmint forums..

CB

· Registered
87 Posts
The .17HMR can not really be compared to the .22lr......two different critters. Despite the .17HMR small size the energy the round packs is much more devistating than the .22lr.

However the .17HMR is really affected by wind. The 17 or 20g bullets are pulled real easy...and off target hard. .22lr bullets are roughly twice the weight and hold in wind better.

0-50 yards use a .22lr
0-150 yards use a .17hmr

Now.......though a .17hmr will go out farther i would not hunt with it much farther than 100m.
Well, lets say the Groundhog is a Bison or Buffalo, while the 17HMR is a 300 Winchester Mag and the 22LR is a 45/70 Gov't. Sure the first has plenty more power, but first it has to actually get to the vitals to kill the animal. A groundhog is a rather large varmint, the smallest cartridge i would use is a 204 Ruger. Sure you can do it with a rim-fire when one crosses your path at less than 50 yards, but might as well be prepared for the task at hand

· Premium Member
9,520 Posts
EVERY firearm made has its limits. Wind will affect a trained military sniper's rifle bullet. Learn to shoot in the wind or get closer.

For what its designed for, the HMR17 is a great rifle. It or any of the 22cal rimfires can't be compaired at all to a centerfire. But for a reasonably priced rifle, reasonably priced ammunition and pin point accuracy, its a great little round and fun to shoot. More than 350 ****, more skunks than I care to talk about, opposums, a couple of chucks and countless crows can attest to the accuracy of my little Savage.

You can buy a centerfire and shoot it a little or, you can buy a rimfire and shoot it alot...... Your choice.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Busterboy,

Never reloaded the cartridges, I don't shoot enough to justify that.
Even if you shot enough to justify reloading not quite sure how you would reload a rimfire cartridge :confused: .

Hoppe's no.10

· Registered
125 Posts
I've got a NEF Handi-rifle in .17 HMR w/ a burris 3-9 scope on it. It's a great little gun! I can shoot milk jug caps at 200 yrds until it gets boring. I havent taken game w/ it yet, but I would think that w/ the inherent accuracy of the round, head shots on anything rodent sized would be easy and effective.

· Registered
87 Posts
EVERY firearm made has its limits. Wind will affect a trained military sniper's rifle bullet. Learn to shoot in the wind or get closer.
It doesn't matter if you're trained or not whether the wind will affect your bullets flight, it's the fact that you know how to compensate for it. And sometimes the terrain doesn't allow you to get closer, and since this is regarding rim-fire rifles if you can't get close you ain't gonna kill it. So might as well invest in the proper equipment and get a centerfire.

· Premium Member
9,520 Posts
It doesn't matter if you're trained or not whether the wind will affect your bullets flight, it's the fact that you know how to compensate for it. And sometimes the terrain doesn't allow you to get closer, and since this is regarding rim-fire rifles if you can't get close you ain't gonna kill it. So might as well invest in the proper equipment and get a centerfire.
That might be good for either of us, living in a less densly populated area or the rifle zone. However, if you check where he lives (SE), he'd probably get much more shooting, and have more fun with a 17HMR rimfire and spend much less on ammunition. $12 for 50 rounds makes it alot cheaper to learn to shoot and compensate for the wind or anything else. If he needs to shoot 200 to 300 yds and can do it where he lives out the back door safely (SE?) then a centerfire would be better. But even then, living in the SE part of the state, my bet is that he'd shoot much less with a centerfire and a lot more with a rimfire. Most of his centerfire shooting will probably be on a range down there.....

· Registered
2,870 Posts
I've got a NEF Handi-rifle in .17 HMR w/ a burris 3-9 scope on it. It's a great little gun! I can shoot milk jug caps at 200 yrds until it gets boring. I havent taken game w/ it yet, but I would think that w/ the inherent accuracy of the round, head shots on anything rodent sized would be easy and effective.
The energy our .17HR rifles pack at 200m is weak! I wouldn't shoot at anything other than a bird (crow, starling, etc). Tough hide critter like a squirrel might not even be phased by it at 200m.

· Registered
222 Posts
I also have a savage 17 hmr. I've killed 15 or so woodchucks with it. Farthest was 133 yds, yes I ranged it. It puts holes in them so big it's unbelievable, unlike a .22 they dont run to there hole they are done right there. If you shoot squirrels with it it better be in the head or the body is half missing. It is a devasting little gun fun to shoot. Accuracy must be seen to appricate it. You might want to consider a 22 wmr little more punch but not as fast, 17 hmr 2550 fps, not sure on wmr but ammo is cheaper than 17.hmr. All I can say is buy one you wont be sorry

· Registered
766 Posts
Even if you shot enough to justify reloading not quite sure how you would reload a rimfire cartridge :confused: .

Hoppe's no.10

Yup, there ya go. Never looked into it, and didn't know you couldn't reload rimfire. Learning new things all of the time.

As for .17 and coyote, I've shot 5 with it. 2 head shots, the coyote didn't go anywhere. The other three were body shots (behind the shoulder) and they dropped within sight. Puts such a big hole that they bleed out fast.

My 3 don't offer a guarantee, I'm sure they will run a long ways with a lung or gut shot. Mine died within 50 yards, and they had a very hard time making it that far.......my experience.

· Premium Member
9,520 Posts
I think the ballistic coefficient for the 20gr V-Max is 0.185 Go to: http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator and put that number in for the coefficient, 20grs for the bullet weight and 2550fps and do the calculation. It has plenty of energy left at 200 to take a squirrel. However, hitting on at that range is a different story...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.