Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.17-caliber rimfire rifle ideal for small game

There's not much point in owning a car if you can't buy gasoline, a computer where there's no electricity, or a snowmobile in the desert. That's why I waited before trying one of the new .17-caliber rimfire rifles that got so much attention in the shooting magazines last year.

http://www.freep.com/sports/outdoors/rifle9_20031009.htm

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Sounds like fun!! I love shooting my 06' 300+ but that is a bit much for a squirrel :) I dont count on my .22 much, too cheap. This .17 sounds like fun! Thanks Hamilton!!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
huh!! Now I wish that I would have picked up the .17 instead of the .22 during the summer month's. A Christmas gift perhaps :D I look'd at some of the bullet's for the .17 while over at Gander Mt. they look like a little rocket, and definatly could do some damage on a animal, such as a squirrel.......Headshot only on a squirrel though, otherwise, you probally would gut, and skin it all at once, lol

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I was impressed with the .17HRM when it was introduced but the lack of ammo really made me look to the .22mag as a slightly longer range and more accurate than a .22 rifle. I held off on buying either. I've seen the Savage .17HRM in sale papers lately for $169.:eek:
My uncle uses the Ruger 77/17 out west for prairie dog hunts out to 100yards +. He says the rifle has so little recoil that you can see the impact through the scope.:D I do enjoy some recoil but that might make it worth it.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Wait until you see what the wind does to that itty bitty slug.:( I read the article.......it was obviously written by someone with little or no experience with the cartridge, using second hand sources. The round is NOT a coyote/varmint round, even at close range.........I will stick with the .22 mag.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Gotta agree w/16....I personally think the .17 HMR is gonna be like the 5mm Mag.......
Its NOT a varmint round, more of a squirel caliber. I'd take my .22Mag over it anyday.

·
Registered
26,523 Posts
A guy I know likes his for woodchucks. It has better accuracy and longer range, but I think that the woodchuck or fox is about as big a game that I'd try it on.

I read an article about it when they first came out. Oh, I'll search for it. Just a minute.

I searched and can't find it.

It was real involved and explained what they were trying to accomplish and what market they were after. Basically they were trying to get a little more range out of the 22 mag., with less drop, and eliminate ricochet problems (ballistic tip). Alot of the shooters love these guns, as they are accurate and the price of ammo is coming down.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. 16 gauge
Wait until you see what the wind does to that itty bitty slug.:( I read the article.......it was obviously written by someone with little or no experience with the cartridge, using second hand sources. The round is NOT a coyote/varmint round, even at close range.........I will stick with the .22 mag.
Not to mention that I dislike having to pick out pieces of copper and lead from my squirrels and rabbits. My cousin won one at an NRA banquet. He sold it after he tore up too many squirrels without absolute perfect head shots.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Has been a blast. I love it. I got the NewEngland firearms model 'sportster' and as soon as last years hunting season was over, I sent it in for a .22 long rifle barrel. Both accurate, but back to the .17.

Yes, head shots only for squirrels. Or shoulders. The round is that accurate that you can make the shot. It's a very explosive bullet, and I've seen it expend every bit of energy inside the animal.

As Eric Sharp wrote in his article, it is not enough bullet for coyotes. And perhaps a heavier round will become available. Does work great on Woodchucks. I've gotten lots of itty-bitty red squirrels with it at impressive ranges. Not much left of 'em.

I've got a .22 mag a BRNO 611 semiauto, beautiful gun and as accurate with the .22 mag as you are going to get. But the .22 mag just does not seem as inherently accurate as the .17. I see those great folks at CZ are making the 611 in .17 now, and I hope to be able to get a barrel for mine.

It won't replace the .22 long rifle, but might, just might, if the ammo selection fills out, do in the .22 mag.

Hey, anyone here have experience with the old 5 mm Remington, the last great experiment with a bottle shaped rimfire round?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I picked up a Marlin vs and mounted a 12-20 on it. One thing I know is that there are quite a few less crows around my house!;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts