Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all and thanks in advance. I need some advice.I found a Citori lightning 20(OU) at Gander that had a mark on the stock so was going for a good price. I love the feel/fit of the Citori lightning so that part is settled. I'm planning to hunt grouse and pheasant, not much else with it. I'm worrying about the knockdown power of the 20 on pheasant. I'm not a bad shot but i think i could use a little more shot in the air. I'm thinking about going to the 16 (I'll have to pay up) to split the difference between the benefits of the 12 and 20. I'm not really considering the 12, I've got a 12 pump. Are these legitimate concerns or much ado about nothing. All the best. john

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
A 20 would work fine for both, but I would have to recommend the 16.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I hunt pheasant with a Browning Citori 20. Never had a problem knocking down birds.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I think it all depends on the load and how good of shot you are . I have seen plenty of guys hitting phez and killing them with a 20 .

Andy

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have carried it exclusively for 2 years now. I have great success in Iowa on pheasants (loaded with 2 3/4 Winchester Super Pheasant #5's). Obviously it is great for Michigan grouse and woodcock. I also have a Browning Fusion in 12 and a Sweet 16, but I only carry the 20. Awesome weapon!

And if needed, you can find ammo at any local convenience store.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Drifter Saver said:
And if needed, you can find ammo at any local convenience store.
This argument always cracks me up. What hunter goes out West or anywhere else on a hunting trip without ample ammunition? If I were to buy a 28 or 16, I would buy ammo by the case and never run out. I don't run out now, I have an arsenal that could facilitate 5 guys to hunt for a weekend and have good shooting on geese, ducks, pheasant, and grouse/woodcock.

Like I said, the 20 will do it just fine....but step over the line and grab the 16. You won't regret it. I have a buddy that shoots a 16 for everything...he absolutely loves it and it works wonders on pheasants.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hevi said:
This argument always cracks me up. What hunter goes out West or anywhere else on a hunting trip without ample ammunition? If I were to buy a 28 or 16, I would buy ammo by the case and never run out. I don't run out now, I have an arsenal that could facilitate 5 guys to hunt for a weekend and have good shooting on geese, ducks, pheasant, and grouse/woodcock.quote]

Go back to bed Hevi!!!

I hear you, but I just had to say it. I think it best be retired. That was what I was told about 10 years ago when someone told me to buy a 30-06 over a 300 Win Mag (I bought the 300).

To completely take care of the situation, go buy a Sweet 16 and buy the 20 O/U...it's only money:evil:

·
Registered
659 Posts
The 16 ga is a great all around gun. I have a Browning lightning feather in 16 and it is a great pheasant and grouse gun. At 6lbs it can do it all. Having said that remember there is very limited choices when it come to premium pheasant loads in 16 ga. The 20ga will handle pheasants just fine it that is your choice.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Double Gun said:
The 16 ga is a great all around gun. I have a Browning lightning feather in 16 and it is a great pheasant and grouse gun. At 6lbs it can do it all. Having said that remember there is very limited choices when it come to premium pheasant loads in 16 ga. The 20ga will handle pheasants just fine it that is your choice.
I thought you prefered a 28 guage for phez Brian?:lol:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Either a 20 or 16 can be used to take pheasant. Obviously you can shoot a little heavier payload with a 16. I have a variety of shotguns but my Citori Lightning Feather in 16 gets the most field time.

The drawbacks: The factory loads are more limited in 16 - although there are some good options available. If you reload you really notice the lack of components - particularly wads.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
16 or 20 - both are good. There are heavy 20 ga loads by Federal Premium, 3 inch if you feel very under gunned.
As far as availabilty of loads, it's not so much that you may not plan ahead, as much as you may forget the shells. Then what?
Go with the 20, forget the frustrations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts