Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a 15 ft deep V Lowe boat be safe out in Frankfort on a fairly nice day? I've really been wanting to give it a shot with my new walker down riggers

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check the weather and wind forcaset and look at the radar right up unitl you launch. It can turn fast and bad in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Maybe in the fall when fishing is in close but any more than a mile or two and you are just asking for trouble. I've seen it get ugly really quick, and we were in a 23 foot big boat, knocked us around really bad, so be really cautious.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I see guys in the pack in kyaks. I would do that but they do.. i see 14' all the time if thw weathers right

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another question... i also fish the big manistee and noticed most boats are equip with jet drives so would i be wasting my time and money with my Yamaha 25 hp long shaft prop. i know i can run the motor tilted up but just wondering what boating practices people use on the river.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Go out 1 mile on a really nice day and time yourself. Now if you get into a blow it will take about 4X that long to get in. Before it gets ugly give yourself at least that long to get back. You should be into fish before you get a mile out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think you'll be OK. When I was a kid we went out in a 15' boat miles out in Munuscong. Actually it was lots of miles out but a bunch of that was running up the river at the State Forest campground.

I intend to have my 17' MuskyTek tiller out on Lake Michigan, Huron, and Lake St Clair. Hopefully lots of times next season.

It just takes common sense that's all.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Umm, didn't two seasoned fishermen recently drown off Ludington while fishing from a 26-footer?

Last I heard, they haven't been found yet, nor has the boat.

Taking a 15-foot boat on that lake is begging for trouble. Sure, some people might get away with it, but that doesn't make it safe OR wise.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Damn. I hate to see stuff like this happen.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Taking a 15-foot boat on that lake is begging for trouble. Sure, some people might get away with it, but that doesn't make it safe OR wise.
If you pick your days, and don't fish in rough weather or when it is calling for it, you can fish very safely. But, you may not want my opinion because I have fished Lake Michigan hundreds of times in a 14 foot boat or kayak so I must be stupid and unsafe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts