Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Should say on the Coast Guard Tag near the Transom. There are many different 15.5' boats, all have different ratings.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Too difficult to tell without any other info. All aluminum boats are not created equal. My 14 ft has a 40hp rating while others have a 25hp rating.
Whats the beam?
What kind of bracing at the transom?

The actual HP is usually not that big of deal, but the weight is the big issue. Some manufactures (mostly smaller allum boats) will not mount a max horse 4 stroke due to weight concerns....or at least they won't offer to pre rig it for you.

If your boat is a utility boat...bench seats etc, your certainly safe with a 15hp and maybe safe with a 25hp 2 stroke. If it's a heavy duty boat with heavy transom, might be 40hp. Lots of variables.

I have a 12ft utility V that is rated for 10hp, but with my size and weight in the back, I would stick with a 5 or 6hp with a 3 gal tank. Actually have a 3hp with internal tank that will be ideal for it to keep the weight down, but I have not tried it yet.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
a 10 or 15 is plenty,,,its not a race boat. any hull will only benifit just so much from more horsepower.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts