Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late last year I picked up a beat up 1436 Ouchita Jon Boat with an inoperable long tail for next to nothing. I got the long tail running and proceed to sell it for nearly what I had into the entire package so now I'm freerolling on the boat/trailer.

The boat was in super rough shape. The transom was rotted out so badly the aluminum on top was broken in a couple spots. The aluminum was also cracked where the knee was bolted through the bottom of the boat. Someone at some point had fiberglassed over the bolts on the bottom, but it clearly wasn't waterproof there either.

After replacing the transom wood, patching the old knee location along with a couple layers of f/glass on the bottom the boat covering the cracks and moving the knee to the opposite side I was finally ready for a float test.

quackquack.jpg

floating.jpg

Currently powered by a Mud Skipper Twister with a 212cc Predator on it. Drive + engine I'm into for $640 or so.

Still need to install:
Bilge pump
Foam for floatation (I see none in the boat unless it's under the floor...and this was built before 77 when it was mandatory)
Lights (have a battery powered set..but if I'm adding my extra marine battery..might as well hard wire some in)

My question is this...I have a used Avery Quick Set blind that I picked up on Facebook marketplace last winter. Do I ever bother installing it though? Do you guys have blinds on your 14'ers?

·
Registered
610 Posts
1436, unless beached, will list too much if you plan on sitting with your shoulders square to the gunwale... It’s not wide enough to center your weight and have leg room while sitting. A blind will work, but it will feel pretty tight on space.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 14x36 and we sit broadside w/o much issue. I sit at rear seat and buddy straddles mid seat.
Blind or not depends on where u will hunt.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I prefer to hide the boat and hunt from a mud seat in the cat tails. So I guess my vote is no on the blind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Late last year I picked up a beat up 1436 Ouchita Jon Boat with an inoperable long tail for next to nothing. I got the long tail running and proceed to sell it for nearly what I had into the entire package so now I'm freerolling on the boat/trailer.

The boat was in super rough shape. The transom was rotted out so badly the aluminum on top was broken in a couple spots. The aluminum was also cracked where the knee was bolted through the bottom of the boat. Someone at some point had fiberglassed over the bolts on the bottom, but it clearly wasn't waterproof there either.

After replacing the transom wood, patching the old knee location along with a couple layers of f/glass on the bottom the boat covering the cracks and moving the knee to the opposite side I was finally ready for a float test.

View attachment 576129

View attachment 576131

Currently powered by a Mud Skipper Twister with a 212cc Predator on it. Drive + engine I'm into for $640 or so.

Still need to install:
Bilge pump
Foam for floatation (I see none in the boat unless it's under the floor...and this was built before 77 when it was mandatory)
Lights (have a battery powered set..but if I'm adding my extra marine battery..might as well hard wire some in)

My question is this...I have a used Avery Quick Set blind that I picked up on Facebook marketplace last winter. Do I ever bother installing it though? Do you guys have blinds on your 14'ers?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a "hide in the cattails" kinda person (or on shore in brush) but wanted the boat option for my youngest. The boat gives us a nice out of the water option. He gets bored, wants to bring a book or something, makes it easy.

Other reason was that we broke some nasty ice to hunt last year. This beats walking and getting smacked in the legs non-stop.

Grey wulff whch blind is that on your boat?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a "hide in the cattails" kinda person (or on shore in brush) but wanted the boat option for my youngest. The boat gives us a nice out of the water option. He gets bored, wants to bring a book or something, makes it easy.

Other reason was that we broke some nasty ice to hunt last year. This beats walking and getting smacked in the legs non-stop.

Grey wulff whch blind is that on your boat?
It’s homemade. 1/2” conduit folds down for travel. Burlap under die cut camo with raffia grass added.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts