Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without much effort or fussing around I shot 100 yds off of the caldwell and 200 yds off of my newly fabed bench rest. It was a dingy rainy day... kinda like hunting.

100 yds 3 9/16" which simulates how I will be Deer hunting. The first 2 shots are touching. The shot string was only about 1 minute.

200yds 3.5" a bit more stable and more time between shots. The shot to the left is an old hit form some other time.

The elevation difference is about 8". I'm sure if I head out on a sunny day and shoot for accuracy it will snugg up a bit. A little more magnification might make it easier.

Jim

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Nice job at 200 yards and I sure understand the need for a bit more magnification!! I did a quick and dirty run on a ballistics program, assuming a muzzle velocity of about 1900 fps and, the next time it's really nasty outside, you may want to go to an indoor range and sight it in at 17 yards. It will hit a trajectory peak of about 2,9 inches and zero at 155 yards. At 200 yards, it would be about 5.5 inches low, requiring no scope adjustment just a wee bit of a holdover. Yea, I tend to get a bit anal about sight in distances to maximize the PBR! Looks like, with your Contender, there's few MI critters feeling safe at 200 yards ... good job!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The 200 yard shooting is mostly for confidence at the realistic ranges I hunt, 100yds or less, and if I have the opportunity to stretch a shot I feel I can!

I got this last November sighting in for deer hunting off of the bench with the chronograph... "Tossing out the odd balls I get 30-30 7 shot avg. 2322fps w/ 2" 100yd groups" (3 values were way out there). I opted to say it does 2300fps. The box says 2456fps (24" barrel?) so I thought the numbers I got were reasonable

I opted to place my 2x on the 30-30 and my Leupold 2.5X8X Vari-XEER on the 223 it seemed most logical based on what I may hunt with them.

Jim

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Yea, Hornady usually uses 24" barrels to check velocity so I'm surprised you chronographed only 134 fps less with the 14 incher! My experience tends to indicate a 35 to 40 fps difference from about 12 to 18 inch barrels with the difference dropping to 15 to 20 fps once you get above 24 inches. I also understand the scope for caliber since I have the Burris 3 x 12 on the 308 barrel, the TC 2 1/2 x 7 on the 444 Marlin and a Bushnell Holo Sight on the 50 Alaskan. I do, however, have Warne QD rings on the Burris so if I'm feeling particularly lucky, I can quickly put it on the 444. Who knows what lurks out there further than my tired, old eyes can see!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I checked their site and confirmed the 24" barrel. I'll be running them through the speed trap again. I may have had it to close when I ran them through last November. The speeds I got had a bit of a spread and some where way out there. All I know is it rocked a sow wild bore last spring at about 35yds. Made porkburger of her heart with a large exit wound and she only took about 7 steps and dropped. Not much blood as it quit pumpin' right away! I'm sure it'll easily knock a Whitetail down for the count if I stick one in the boiler room.

Jim

·
Registered
35,600 Posts
With decent hand loads you should be able to get 10 shot 1" groups with your set up. I have a similar set up and mine will shoot 1/2" or less off a bench at 100 yards. 150 gr flat points seem to print better than pointed bullets.

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
895 Posts
With decent hand loads you should be able to get 10 shot 1" groups with your set up. I have a similar set up and mine will shoot 1/2" or less off a bench at 100 yards. 150 gr flat points seem to print better than pointed bullets.
Yes! All true points. Back when I was reloading for it my personal best at the range was 2" @ 200 yards. Best shot in the field was a ground hog @ ~ 100yds. I stopped by a pull off on state land that lead into a large open field. I knew his hole was just over the rise at the end of the parking spot. I grabbed my gun and back pack and walked to the end. He was standing with his front paws folded across his chest investigating the commotion I was making. I tossed the back pack down laid the gun on it and when I looked into the scope it was lined up on his paws. I applied pressure to the trigger and he laid down right where he was standing. When I retrieved him he had marks from the bullet on both of his thumbs. That was back in the early to mid-90's before I quit doing all types of hunting except spring Turkey because the physical aspect of it became too much for my neck, back and shoulder issues, I have degenerative arthritis throughout my neck and back. Now the numbness, tingling and twitches add to the challenge of shooting hand cannons... man it sucks getting old!

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts